US Lifts HIV Travel Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8438865.stm

Good move, and appropriate, if overdue. :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is a good step forward. I can't believe only 12 countries ban HIV positive people from travelling there.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess it's surprising that more "crazy" countries do not. I'm not so convinced there are properly pandemic characteristics to HIV at this point, nor have there been for years -- that is, at this point, even in countries with high HIV infection rates, the driving factor is not ingress of infected individuals from other countries who carry the disease in. HIV is just not a highly contagious disease in the context of casual contact. I'm not sure even the sub-Saharan African nations would really accomplish anything by preventing HIV+ individuals from entering the country, let alone the US.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good to see common sense trump fear. Wonder how much political flack he will get from the far right?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good. This is long overdue. Thanks for getting at least this one right, Obama.

6. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Good to see a step in the right direction after a bundle of steps backward.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't even realize this was a policy, as long as we don't have any rise in outbreaks due to immigrants I don't care. If someone has AIDS and purposely infects people by not telling them before sexual relations they should be jailed for life.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Now we have the drugs to keep it under control it isn't *quite* that big a deal anymore. Certainly though in the UK you will go to prison if you infect someone knowingly.

That said according to Elisabeth Pasani the biggest risk of catching it is from someone who's newly infected, so banning people who already know they have HIV isn't even that effective at stopping it spreading.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its a pretty big deal to me and the costs associated with keeping yourself healthy are probably astronomical, not to mention not being able to engage in sexual activity without the chance of infecting someone else.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm sure your universal healthcare policy will cover it. ;)

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Exactly. Even if not I don't think the drugs are more than $1000/year even in the west.

12. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One shouldn't underestimate the seriousness of getting HIV, though. I'm not calling for any lifetime imprisonment, natch. My point is just that this is still a serious and lifelong (for the foreseeable future) disease. The drugs are not a 100% guarantee, particularly with the ever-present threat of drug-resistant strains.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Are you effing kidding me?

This was something we had to STOP?! :eek:

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

$10,000-$15,000 per year per patient for cocktail treatment (HAART)

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/03/01/16298.aspx

I also don't dare guess how expensive Magic Johnson's treatments are.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Damn its more expensive than I thought - its fairly unaffordable without Universal healthcare :(.

Very true.

16. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since we were talking about this in this thread anyways, I'll recycle... :eek:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/14/MN5H1BHUSM.DTL

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

18. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the pipeline for new HIV drugs is actually pretty good... There are also some behavioral issues -- the following kinds of things can reduce the spread of these:

- People who are HIV+ should use protection for sex every time they have sex / not share needles / etc, even with other people who are also HIV+

- People who are on HIV therapy, especially HAART, need to be highly compliant with the regimen, and we need to provide the support services and education needed for this. Complying with HAART ~85% of the time has been shown to be low enough to have the potential to turn the body into a strain-resistant breeding ground.