US May '09 unemployment % in, are you employed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 3, 2009.

?

Employed?

1. No!

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Yes!

51 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink we are probably in a crisis. I am a partially-employed student, making me ineligible for that number.

I didn't realize Republican was a location?

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You need more options in the poll. There are those who aren't employed, but aren't looking (student, disabled, retired, wealthy), and those who are underemployed, which is actually a larger problem than can be quantified with current methodologies.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

myself and just about everyone else i know is in this category. sucks because there is nothing to be done about it, just happy to have some sort of minimal income that isn't even livable for most of my friends.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Personally, I found a stopgap job when I moved states a couple years ago, planning on finding a better one once I got settled. Of course, then our current economic situation reared it's head.

Frankly, I consider myself lucky. Though I am underemployed by virtue of my education, I still make about $40K/yr and am single, so that is more than enough to weather the storm...

We'll see what happens over the next year or so...luckily, working at a bar (current job), is nearly recession-proof - my business has met or exceeded that of pre-recession times.

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

17 years old (student) and cannot find a job anywhere

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

When I was in hs and college, it was really tough for me to find work, and when i did it was like retail, dealerships type of thing

this was back when the economy was booming too

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Join the club.

Yeah, the latter part of your post is sorta the most important. It's really hard for students, especially ones that are going to college in a different place to get employment. Most employers in retail/restaurant (ideal places for idiots like us to work) don't wanna hire someone that will only work for a couple of months, when they can hire kids a year younger and know they will be there for the remainder of high school.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

if only my parents would see that there are looooads of kids my age in the same situation, they think i'm the only one out of my group of friends who doesn't have a job...

idiots being us teenagers?:confused: (assuming you're a teenager because you said join the club)

10. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm slightly surprised this is a problem in the US - especially as the US education system isn't particular stunning. Certainly here in the UK the people who find it hard to get jobs are the under-educated as there aren't enough jobs that require no skills (or people don't want them if they are hard work.)

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My company had a layoff about a month ago, 20% of the company was dismissed. It's been rough for us, but I do feel lucky to have survived the cut...knock on wood.

On the bright side, when we knew the cuts were looming and didn't know who would make it, I did have two different recruiters contact me about position within a week of the notice, and I actually got offered an interview, but I turned it down.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Graduated two months ago and still don't have a job after looking almost everyday. Might have to take whatever I can get now just to have some money.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm still employed ::knocks vigorously on wood::, but my wife was let go back in April.

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

In the very worst of times, 4 out of 5 will answer yes to this question. (Based on the 1930s experience)

16. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I didn't vote in the poll because I am retired. Also I have to say that there are lots of counties in the USA where 9% unemployment and probably 15-20% underemployment is common. So bad as it seems, it might seem pretty ordinary for a lot of us in rural areas or commercially underutilized parts of cities.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well remember unemployment is a lag indicator which means that it will keep on climbing after the recession is over. A better number to follow is the monthly job losses. Until that number is a 150k new jobs a month unemployment will keep climbing.

Another good number to look at is the shipments of basic material like steel, concrete, plastic and so on. They tell more about how things are going than anything else.

I been unemployed since February

18. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I got a great job, first one I applied for after finishing grad school in may. In the arts no less. But thats just because Im so awesome. I feel for manual laborers with families and such but have no pity for people in finance etc.

19. Axl Rose macrumors regular

im an 18 year old guy who was lookin for a job for about 7 months in here in SoCal, finally got one at a fast food joint until i get my security guard card :D

But man...it was tough out there, glad i found a job

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm currently employed, but have several friends that just received pink slips (one works for Discovery Channel).

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Currently employed...in France :D...Sorry to the fellas who lost their jobs though...

22. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Employed. Upper level healthcare position. Fiancee is in education and can't even get an interview due to state funding cuts via the recession.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Unemployed, thanks to upper management screwups causing us to lose $300,000 last quarter (though I hit all my goals, while they kept their jobs, and decided to try replacing me with someone making half what I did, with no benefits - not going so well last I heard) but working part time for myself thankfully. Lots of money in the coffers since I saw it all coming. Have to go back to work elsewhere in order to collect unemployment benefits apparently, which I might do in a couple of months (already had offers), but part time and temporary, so no healthcare benefits that way. Thanks to that stimulus everyone hates, I can afford my COBRA, but when that runs out I'm screwed, because I have preexisting conditions that would make buying my own healthcare more expensive than I could afford, if I can even be covered.

It's only going to get worse from here before it gets better, because despite the rhetoric, as any actual economist will tell you, the stimulus is too slow and not enough.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Currently employed, although I know it will end in less than a year. The processing center I work at will be closing in May 2010, but my contract is up in March 2010. I have a feeling they will just decline to renew me, especially since we're going to see a dramatic decrease in our mail volume from January onward. I graduate in December, luckily, so I may try to find a different job or a second job after I graduate.

It is made especially worse by the fact that my lease at my apartment is up at the end of April. I will be starting graduate school in September of that year, so I'm going to either have to find a job to keep for a few months and a place to live for a few months here in Phoenix, or find a job and place to live wherever I end up moving for graduate school, most likely to leave that job when I start going to school full-time.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Self employed student. I make enough to pay for my bills and rent + some which is fine by me until I get out of school (second degree).