US Midterm Elections 2010

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Tomorrow is election day!

Predictions?

For the closer races, I'd take:

Alaska: Murkowski (R)
    California: Boxer (D)
    Colorado: Buck (R)
    Illinois: Kirk (R)
    Nevada: Ried (D)
    Pennsylvania: Toomey (R)
    Washington: Murray (D)
    West Virgina: Manchin (D)
    Wisconsin: Johnson (R)

With a final score of 52D, 48R.

For the House, Republicans win 45 seats and take the House 224 to 211.

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I was wondering if/when a prediction thread would be started. I say Republicans pick up 57 new House seats, and Democrats hold on to the Senate majority with 51 seats. So, I guess I say Republicans get 12 more house seats than you say, and one less Senate seat than you say.

Of course, it will be days - if not weeks - before all the recounts play out.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that the potential for republican gains is being overhyped. I never bet on the spread, but I believe that the dems will hold the senate and that the house race may be considerably tighter than expected. I guess we'll see!

One thing I can be sure of is that the number of seats picked up by the GOP will be directly proportional to the amount of time I spend facepalming tomorrow night.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I no longer try to make predictions.

Been wrong too many times before.

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Nevada will choose Angle (R) over Reid (D), so it will be 51D-49R for my money.

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'll **** a brick if that happens. :D

Call me optimistic, but I think Dems barely hold on to both. I think just about every tea party candidate will lose, effectively killing the movement, and politics go back to somewhat normality again.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not if Sharron Angle wins Nevada. That's a very, very scary new boss and means that America has lost it's mind.

As for Illinois, I think Giannoulias wins over Kirk. He's pretty popular and the Chicago vote is heavily Democratic. And Chicagoans VOTE. Sure, downstate could change that, but I doubt it.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think the Dems keep the Senate but lose the house, meaning even less will get done in Congress.

I predict that O'Donnell is going to lose, Paladino is going to lose, Angle is going to lose, and in the upset of the night, Miller is going to lose to either McAdams or Murkowski. And the wicked witch of the north will lose any power she had within the GOP for backing candidates which turned guaranteed GOP pickups into losses.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Vote Tea Party - Keep the separation of politics and education.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fixed that for you.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The turnout in my precinct was huge this morning. Lots of people at 7 am. That does not spell good news for Republicans here, I can tell you that. The election officials said people were waiting at 6am to get in. Let's hope this is happening all over the US.

13. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

Tea Party Patriots have been lining up over night.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I seriously doubt there were any of those in my neighborhood. ;)

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

(R)Paul will effing crush Conway
    (R)Angle will beat Reid
    (R)Miller will beat Murkowski
    (R)Rossi will beat Murray
    (R)Buck will beat Bennet
    (R)Kirk will beat Giannoulias
    (R)Toomey will beat Sestak
    (D)Boxer will beat Fiorina
    (D)Manchin will beat Raeche

• Raese could pull off an upset of Manchin in West Virginia
    • 50/50 Split in the Senate
    • Republicans pick up 60+ Seats in the House
    • Republicans act tough for a while, then the corrupt political atmosphere takes it's source and things return to business as usual. Things return back to liberals and liberal lite. Big government advocates in both parties play major roles in determining the future of the country.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh wow. Now I know why Republicans seldom win in Illinois.

This morning, a black friend of mine told me about Bill Brady's ad campaign on a radio station catering to blacks. Apparently, he felt the need to play gospel music in the background. :eek:

Another running for sheriff, decided it would be cool to do a rap. Amazing.

On what planet is this even remotely OK? Do they not realize how patronizing and offensive that is?

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe he can be the in-house entertainment, when he puts their ass in jail. :rolleyes:

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Agree with everything here, except I see the senate as 51/49 (Dems ahead). We'll see though.

19. RCGMac macrumors regular

Brady has no clue, surprise surprise, he would also be a disaster for this state. I am astonished how well he has been doing in the polls. What politician tells people they have to wait until he's elected before he will announce his budget plan?! Good luck pulling that crap in a job interview. I am no fan of Quinn, but compared to Brady it's no contest.

My predictions for tonight: Senate 53-47 (D's maintain control) House 222-213 (R's assume control). If this is the case, I hope the GOP will actually work to move legislation through and will actually be willing to work with both sides. My fear, the GOP will see this as a power-grab for 2012 and will throw up roadblocks all over the place, stifling the President's agenda attempting to make Obama a one-term president.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They have already stated that they will start "investigating" the White House, just like they did with Clinton, pretty much insuring Obama will get another term.

21. 184550 Guest

Interesting you left out the NC and SC races. Everything I've read says that the winner of the NC race, 8th district, will be an excellent indicator of which party wins in the house and/or senate.

NC, 8th District: (D) Kissel v. (R) Johnson

22. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

Because it's not a Senate race?

I agree, Libertarians are sickening.

23. 184550 Guest

I suppose when one carefully reads the first bolded portion above, they could deduce that you meant to talk exclusively about the Senate.

However, there is the second bolded portion which would negate the first bolded portion.

My mistake.