US now seeking social media details from all visa applicants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 1, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-now-s...tails-visa-applicants-150538187--finance.html
    what a mess

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Actually I can see this as a possible good thing.
    I know I am responsible for my social posting being mainatained in alignment with my job (background check evry two years).
    I wouldn’t automatically exclude them over it but it would allow for asking questions and requiring explanations.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would actually like to see stronger laws against the use of social media in determining job and immigration status. Some of us aren't particularly interested in it and just maintain minimal profiles to occasionally check posts from friends and things. It also ignores the fact that social media profiles are sometimes compromised.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Do we need to give our MR handle? That won't sit well if they don't like dogs.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

6. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

They most likely got this from Israel

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...itish-citizens-2016-figures-bds-a7375746.html

Travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) warns that Israeli border officials may require travellers to sign pledges not to enter the Palestinian territories without authorisation. It says access to travellers’ personal e-mail or social media accounts has been requested as a condition of entry and cautions that British nationals of Palestinian origin “may face problems”.

Following interrogation, officials can refuse entry and impose travel bans for up to 10 years, detaining visitors until they can be returned to their country of origin.

Those who are allowed to enter Israel are questioned again upon departure and have their baggage searched, with officials able to inspect electrical items such as laptops, phones and cameras. The information gathered is then stored and may be used as evidence to deny someone entry in the future.

The vast majority of refusals are not believed to be politically-motivated, but there is growing concern over the establishment of a taskforce with the aim of identifying and blocking supporters of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

“Boycott activists must not be allowed to enter Israel,” said public security minister Gilad Erdan in August.

They don't want protesters coming to the US to protest. Learning from others around the world

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...l-of-u-s-student-banned-from-israel-1.6532462

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Are they going to require the same for someone who applies for a Master Card or American Express? Or are they picking on Via?

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

8. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Walter(Owens Grandp) isn't going to like this. :D

9. cube macrumors P6

The US does not need other countries to come up with Orwellian ideas.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

7D7E2D7C-60EF-4915-BDFB-DA8190E4D800.jpeg
    Puppiessssssss

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Hence the argument for social media as a public utility gets stronger.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Tough though. The inevitable flaws and consequences that led to any potential regulation, can then be spun as the fault of the regulators. Don't disagree, mind you, but I'm becoming increasingly cynical these days...

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

Social media mayhem.

No point in Governments following you round MORE... we have enough people doing that already.

14. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

In case you were wondering where Trump’s Wall idea came from

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/world/middleeast/trump-mexico-wall-israel-west-bank.amp.html

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2768082002

“I would like exactly what Israel has.” Trump echoed her in holding up Israel’s example: “If you really want to find out how effective a wall is, just ask Israel — 99.9 percent effective. And our wall will be every bit as good as that, if not better.”

15. cube macrumors P6

The American wall was started in 1994.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like a first amendment issue. Completely unacceptable.

Companies shouldn’t be checking social media either.

17. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

True but that was more like a fence..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. cube macrumors P6

Yes, but I don't see much difference.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    I thought foreigners were lesser people.

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

We all know that China is communist and pretty much run under some sort of dictatorship. Not only that but censorship there is quite high but with that aside I don't know know of anyone personally that was kept or scanned for social media info prior to entering China nor have I personally. Not saying it does not happen either but have never seen it happen at any of their customs/immigration entry points and I have been across those beyond what I could could count or remember.

20. AsherN macrumors 6502

So is Israel's for most of it's run.

21. Zenithal macrumors 604

Never underestimate Stylin's unique ability to bring up Israel any chance he can. That said, those puppies are adorable.

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Never underestimate facts, Trump said it so it has to be ok, right? ;)

Do you support these new laws Trump is passing..? If you were flying to some country in Asia and needed a visa would you be ok with them asking for 5 years of emails and social media?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/53776...media-accounts-including-flickr-and-instagram

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/opin...-social-media-requirements-zakaria/index.html

5 years of emails and social media

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

Wanting and being able to produce such material are two different things. Unless the US wants to go through tons of baby and food photos. This isn't a Trump Administration agenda either. Obama's administration did this to to some degree.

The largest abusers of visas were "talent" farms that brought in over cheap Indian slave labor and wealthy Chinese who took advantage of the investment visas and committed fraud.

24. cube, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

cube macrumors P6

I think the US was the first country fingerprinting people at the border and then other countries copied them.

And the first requiring biometric passports.

And using full-body scanners.

And maybe face recognition to board.

China will send a fine to your phone immediately after jaywalking, cars with tracking, etc.

25. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

All true..