US Police beat up 20 year old girl for not being drunk on beach

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sim667, Jun 1, 2018.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Been working on your clickbait skills lately?

Here's another headline you could use for this story:

"Grown woman arrested while kicking and spitting on police officer"

Or: "When cops demand a last name, sand hits the fan"

3. daflake, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

daflake macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I saw the footage. The officers were being pretty reasonable but the woman was fighting back and kicking them, she got what she deserved. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Also, the PD has released the bodycam footage and felt that the officers did what they needed to do. She was being belligerent and refusing to give them the information they needed as well as lying to them. Had she been reasonable she probably wouldn't have been arrested.

Also, it is best if you watch the various videos to get a better picture of the real story.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...dy-Camera-Footage-Beach-Arrest-484099601.html

Oh, and make sure you read the article I posted to the end. She has a history of violent behavior.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Although the police officer should be put on suspension/possibly fired I don't know what this lady was expecting, if you spit on any random person you can expect to get punched in the ****ing face, so she shouldn't be playing an innocent victim here.

It's really not that hard to comply and ask for your lawyer.

5. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Wait, is it illegal to be drinking at the beach? What happened to the land of the free?

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

One of the articles I read on it said that the officers stated that she kicked one of them in the crotch at the same time she tried to grab the camera off of him. She also admitted on FB that she was underage drinking and in the same post turned around and said that she wasn't doing anything wrong. Basically she doesn't understand right from wrong.

I will say that I think the legal drinking age should be 18. Old enough to die for the country and vote, old enough to drink.

7. DanielDD macrumors 6502

To be fair I didn't see any spitting on the video. It might have happened during the camera stopped recording (but that is after the officer was trying to arrest her for doing nothing). She claimed she spitted sand, which might be a natural reaction when you're literally thrown to the ground at the beach.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

You can, if you are of legal drinking age.

9. DanielDD, Jun 1, 2018

DanielDD macrumors 6502

Officers can state whatever they want. You can clearly see from the video she didn't do either.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2018 ---
    Apparently, some states in american have open-container laws that prohibit possessing beverages in public places. Either way, the breathalyzer didn't turn out anything from what I gathered in the video.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not trying to make this personal, but that sentiment, in a nutshell, is why he US is declining on so many levels. I get that spitting is a form of aggression, and that most places outlaw it because of the transmission of diseases (TB, for instance). However, the only time anybody should be throwing punches is to defend themselves from an imminent threat when there is no other option, not to get revenge, or in the case of this video, to enforce the wishes of a police state. So far as I know, nothing requires a person to release their name to the police, or even talk to the police if they choose not to. The cycle of disrespect started with the police officer.

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

Then you are not watching the police video, because it clearly shows her being belligerent. Drinking laws vary state to state. You are correct, she didn't blow positive, but she had beer and she is still considered underage to have it. She lied and said it was her aunts and when the police questioned her whereabouts she said she was coming. They then said they would pour it out and she lost her ****. The officer asked her for her name and she declined becoming more agitated. She then lashed out and struck the officer as they were trying to cuff her and continued to fight back to include spitting.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for her. She broke the law, lied and got aggressive.

I'm pretty sure that if I struck an officer in another country I would be dropped.

I actually saw a Polizei female telling a drunk man to move on (it was a World Cup party). He turned and threw something at her. She popped out a zip stick and took him to the ground where several other officers drug him off.

Sorry, but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.
    it was a lot more than just spit. Had she just given up the beer and given her name she would have been fine. Instead, she claims she did nothing wrong and got hyper aggressive. The decline in America is due to self entitled ass hats!

12. DanielDD macrumors 6502

By the looks of the video, she did explain to the officers those beverages were their aunt's.

1. How do you know she lied? Did the police wait for her to show up or just assumed she was lying? Last I've checked, she does not need to prove anything. The police has to prove she is lying before taking any action.
    2. The police cannot take your items like that.
    3. Try explain to your aunt a police officer poured the beer. The aunt would assume she just drank the beer.

She has the right to refuse to give her name to the police.

Wouldn't you be agitated if the police overstepped their duties?

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Some of them even wearing uniforms!!

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

To me it just looked a citizen reacting against an authoritarian police officer who was clearly on a unconstitutional power trip. The police officer pursued her and said he clearly 'had enough'. She was being difficult, but he was the first to get emotional (angry). Do we really want to become a police state where we're punched if we choose to be silent or defend ourselves from a false accusation? If you have ever been to some of New Jersey's 'public' beaches, what you find is very aggressive local police officers that go after anybody they do not consider from their town. I have seen this myself, so I wonder what prompted the police to approach this particular woman. And the spectacle of a woman being punched repeatedly by a police officer while already being held a in a restraint hold is just plain barbaric and disgusting. But that's where the US is at - foolish angry mean people trying to foist their power over other people.

15. daflake, Jun 1, 2018

daflake macrumors 6502a

Actually the police can do that and they didn't overstep their boundries. She can't legally have the beer, even closed in plain view. It is the law. If the Aunt (provided she actually exists) should have taken it with her.

Look, you can defend her all you want, but she already has a history of violence. I have had to pour beer out in the past when I was caught. I didn't whine or cry, I did what I was told. No cuffs, no bruises....

1. She admitted to it after the fact of FB.
    2. Yes, they can actually can in this case. She had beer in the open and is not of legal age. She tried to say it was her Aunts and when they asked where the Aunt was, she wouldn't answer them with a real answer. Guess what? No Aunt appeared.
    3. The Aunt wasn't real.....

Read the article will you?

You won't be happy until there is total anarchy will you...

Oh the drama...

FYI, it wasn't unconstitutional, the beer was in plain sight. Nice try though

Decline to give blood to the Polizei then give me a call.

16. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I'm not even gonna comment on the idiocy of that law. She can have prior incidents. That doesn't matter.

What matters is that I've seen someone clearly afraid on the video that got spanked by the police, when she was clearly not posing a threat to them. There is no way you can justify what the police did.

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

That's what happens when you give thugs a badge.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

My only issue... the officer was not able to take a skinny 20 year old female into custody without punching her.

He’s severely incapable and should not be working as a Police officer.

19. daflake macrumors 6502a

I actually can and hope that they continue to enforce the laws. My problem is that people like you think that you can do whatever the hell you want without repercussions, to and including assault. They tried to be nice and explain it to her, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Instead she got aggressive and because of that arrested. Claiming she did nothing wrong is insane.

Are you from the USA? If you don't like the law, then you get it changed, not ignore it and act like you can do what you want. I already stated that I agree that I am for the drinking age to be 18. However, just because I think that doesn't mean I can just let 18 year olds drink if it is illegal.

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Underage possession is taken seriously. Cops were doing their job and she over-reacted. It looks like she assaulted the officers and the outcome was then based on that.

We will see.

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

LOL, people can and are stronger than you think. She was putting up a strong fight and to be really honest, what you just said is fairly sexist. I know some skinny young women who could probably drop you.

22. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Bad training and/or wrong personality type combined with poor execution, however, the general enforcement protocol seemed within reasonable boundaries.

Side note: it should be a suspension if there's a shutdown of a body cam during an encounter that can't be attributed to equipment failure.

23. DanielDD macrumors 6502

1. The post on facebook only said she refused to give her name to the police.
    2. She was immediately taken to the police car. That was literally a 4 minute window
    (). Couldn't they waited?
    3. How do you know that?

Let's wait for the investigation before assuming she's lying. You may be right. But hey, "innocent until proven otherwise".

Seriously, what the full 9 video above, at 7:10 when the officer say "She tried to kick us though". Look at the smile of the other officer's face. That's how you catch a lie.

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

German police can't take blood, they could arrest and transport me to a doctor if I'd been driving under influence.
    They could arrest me if I'd be making trouble while drunk or not.
    If they were to cite someone for underage drinking, they would be dealing with a real minor.

None of those would lead to cop's fist in face.......

25. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I don’t agree with most of what you wrote. Cops were doing their job. Looks like she assaulted the officers. Been to wildwood, cops aren’t going for “out of towners”. Tourism is their bread and butter. But one “bad” experience with a police officer does not mean it’s like that everywhere.