US predicts end of combat in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, that's what the headline at Al Jazeera says. I find it difficult to believe myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets him in trouble with the White House.....but it's interesting that such a high ranking officer would say such things

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whoa- either somebody wants a demotion, or this is some lame PR attempt on the part of the administration.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You wait. Watch them do everything they can to kick away one of Obama's sticks.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know they will. I'm sure it's only going to get weirder.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Combat finishing in 2009?

How quickly we forget "Mission Accomplished" - remember that, GWB said Mission Accomplished so that meant the war finished then. He wouldn't lie to us would he?

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I find it difficult to believe that someone in the West actually reads Al Jazeera. (CIA excepted.)

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Lots of people do read and watch, it's a well respected news organisation.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Why not? Just because it's from the Middle East doesn't mean that it's a bad news source. They get the news across, and I know lots of people that tune in to Al Jazeera.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- we don't always have the best news sources here either. It doesn't hurt to look all around.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't believe a word of it, but I really, really hope it to be true.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've got a friend who i an ardent supporter of Israel who believes Al Jazeera is better source on the matter than the NY Times and sometimes, even Haaretz. It's not always the propaganda outfit that some Western media would have you believe it is.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course. I mean, they're saying they want us out on their terms. We want to leave on ours. It's hurting the GOP right now still, even though they're touting the success of the surge (even though it's not). Plus, then they could slip into Iran, claiming the same things. Or suddenly remember the 'stans and focus on that. I don't know if it'll work though. And it's kinda to late to do anything but promise a drawdown. One the next President doesn't really have to abide by.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Solvs, I see you read Huffington's spin of the report but didn't actually read it.

Here is what it says:

It sounds like the situation is on the upswing, yet it is still A WAR ZONE, so the situation is still "dangerous" like the report said. The conclusions in the report are really nothing new or anything that the MSM hasn't reported. Huffington's claim that she'll "tell you what the report really says and what CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC won't tell you." is just fodder. :)

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Reducing violence in some areas wasn't a goal of the surge until during when nothing else, as the pdf points out, was happening. Violence also went up slightly in 2007, then down again, then briefly back up a few months ago, then back down. There isn't a steady overall reduction.
    Nor is it sustainable.