US Presidential Election Third Party Candidate Delusion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that all supporters of third party candidates will agree that it will either be Hillary or Trump as our next president.

Also, if both main candidates are looked at carefully, people will like one over the other even if they greatly dislike both of them.

Even if you like a third party candidate, that candidate will never be elected and the votes for that candidate may ensure that the candidate you dislike the most (Hillary or Trump) will win. If you like Hillary more than Trump, vote Hillary. Likewise, if you like Trump more than Hillary, vote Trump.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Seems inevitable.

There are reasons one can disagree with Stein or Johnson, to the point the major candidates end up looking better. It's a shame the threshold to be considered for debates is as high as it is, but the reasons for the threshold are just as relevant, for a Republic.

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

For anyone who thinks that the two-party stranglehold on the US is more harmful than either Trump or Clinton individually, voting third party is the rational choice.

4. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

The problem I see with voting third party, is they are going about it all wrong.

You don't jump in at the top, you go grassroots and start at the bottom. There are so many up in the air downticket seats this year, they should be focusing on those. Once they start to get a foothold in the lower seats, then the people can see what their party is really about on how things get voted upon, and then the third party should look towards the top seat.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Exactly. Bottom up, not top down.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If Gary Johnson loses, I'll know the election was rigged.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Just like if you're losing in the bottom of the 9th, the game is "rigged" if the umpires don't give you a 10th inning to try to make a comeback?

8. tshrimp, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Deleting. I couldn't get my wording right for it to make sense...even to me :)

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

then WHY do you guys worry about the top ticket if all that matters is the bottom?

the top makes a difference.

10. Robisan macrumors 6502

Problem is their egos make them want to be tops, not bottoms...

...to them, bottom up is just assumes the position for the major parties to have their way with them.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you been reading my posts too much I guess.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It does.

But in order to be effective under our system of government; the President needs at least some legislative support. Usually, this takes the form of anywhere from 40% to 60% of the elected Representatives and Senators will be of the same party as the President.

A third party candidate who, through some fluke of chance, became elected President would count not a single vote in either the Senate or Congress as being generally supportive of his or her agenda. Rather the opposite, in fact, because the natural tendency of both existing major parties would be to actually work together to stymie the Third Party President's agenda.

To the 3rd Party fans out there: Start small. Try running a city, a county, or a State on Green Party or Libertarian Party principles. See how that works out for you. Because the reality is that most of the actual law that most Americans live under is local or State law. Not Federal.

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The two party system is two parts of the same con, I mean coin, no I mean con. It's heads they win, tails we lose.

14. zin macrumors 6502

They always have the option of being versatile.

15. Plutonius, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Not at all. Would you agree that it's either Trump or Hillary ? Even if you dislike both, one of them will be president and you should be voting to get one you consider best out of the two. Also voting third party will not kill the stranglehold by the two parties. As evidence, look back on when Ross Perot ran third party for president and got almost 19%. The next presidential election, the two parties were back and the third party could be considered dead.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    In my opinion, you are 100% correct.
    but you need to work from the bottom to get to the top. I'll be very surprised if any third party candidate actually exceeds 8% this presidential election.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

If a third party candidate makes a dent though, it should send a clear signal to both parties that America is FED UP with BOTH of their childish actions. Let's take it a little further, what if a 3rd party candidate won the popular vote? I sure as hell would expect our leaders to do the right thing and support that person.

17. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Do you think one of the third party candidates will win this election ??? I think when the election is done, they will individually poll under 8%.

As far as being FED UP, both parties are aware of it and also know it will not make a difference. Ross Perot made a huge dent at 19% and it all disappeared next election. Without the third parties starting at the bottom at the local level, a third party president is a pipe dream.

What you can count on is either Hillary or Trump as president. Both are completely different from each other so one should be better for you then the other. You can either vote for that person or chance suffering more under the other person.

18. daflake macrumors 6502a

Anything is always possible if enough people get fed up with with status quo.

As for the rest, no, I will not vote for either. It then reserves my right to complain about the moron that the left and/or right put in office. Maybe you are comfortable with that, but I am not and I will not bow to either one of the parties rhetoric.

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Trump is going to win my state no matter what so I am going to vote for Johnson. I know he is not going to win, but I want him to get enough support to scare the establishment in both parties that they need to be more responsive to the voters.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think it's possible though improbable that a 3rd party would win under our current system.

But that's not the partys' fault that the founders created a system predisposed to two-party dominance. It isn't their fault that they've achieved so much success at rallying the public under their banner, or that now they are protective of that power.

You can't break up a party like a corporation. But you can change the system and create the conditions that make 3rd parties viable and winning choices.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What do we do if we can't find a redeeming quality with either Clinton or Trump? Who do we vote for them?

(Hint, I'll vote for whoever I damn well please)

22. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

In your case, I can agree with that logic.
    Your going to get one of them no matter what their qualities. Each is completely different from the other so one will be better for you even if you don't like either.
    Then don't complain if the one you agree with less is elected :).

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Actually, I'm pretty sure our country would be screwed either way.

Each is completely different, I agree. Completely different in the way they will harm our country.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

God, I hope so.

I'll vote HRC because I want the power of that office in the hands of Democrats. Hillary is just one person in a long line of Democratic leaders who've helped to forward the liberal agenda.

And I gotta say we've been taking a lot of positive steps lately.

It really doesn't matter who the candidate is. If they are going to work towards my political goals, they have my support.