US Reduces Staff At The Yemen Embassy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JamesMike, Jan 23, 2015.

1. JamesMike, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015

JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We lost that war a long time ago.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we created the freaking "terror"

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It could bode very well for the so-called "War on Terror" if we would secure an alliance with Iran and the Shi'a world against Saudi-funded/sponsored/supported jihadist movements like Al Qaeda and ISIS.

Iran and the United States are natural allies. Unfortunately, neocons like Obama and Hillary are utterly beholden to Israel.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He is slightly less pro-Israel than previous presidents have been, which is why the right wing thinks he is anti-Israel. But he will still promote Israeli interests over US ones.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have yet to see a U.S. leader who wasn't pro Israel ... Republican or Democrat.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wasn't trying to say that he isn't pro-Israel, just he is pro-Israel to a slightly smaller degree than previous presidents have been.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Tongue in cheek here.. but there are plenty of US leaders who were not pro-Israel. Just search for any of them prior to Harry Truman's presidency.

Hard for them to be for a country that didn't exist prior to 1948. ;)

BL.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And I'm not disagreeing with you either.

I just couldn't stomach aaronvan coming in here and naming two Democrats as being beholden to Israel, when every leader in my memory has been as beholden—if not more than the two Democrats that somehow were the only ones to make his list.

Fairness counts.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama is a rabid, pro-Israel neocon by any definition, as is Hillary.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Name any U.S. leader who wasn't pro-Israel.

Does fairness count?

Why only name Obama and Clinton?

Let's see how some potential Republican nominees stack up ...

Jeb Bush — Bush focused on economic policy in his remarks but also impressed the pro-Israel group with his defense of muscular American foreign policy. http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Jeb_Bush_Foreign_Policy.htm

Jeb is also known to be staunchly pro-Israel, as all Republican presidential candidates must be.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/11297600/What-would-a-Jeb-Bush-presidency-mean-for-US-foreign-policy.html

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes they are, but Citizenzen does have a point, why are those the only two that make your list?

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because one occupies the White House and the other likely will.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Whatever. Your partisan spin isn't worth any more of my time. I'm just happy to point it out and I'll let anyone else interested continue the discussion with you.

Out.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Very few liberals dare call out the democrats when they behave like republicans. It's all good because the "other" party did it:rolleyes:

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, see and refer to my post. Every POTUS from Washington to FDR didn't give a crap about Israel because it didn't exist during their terms as POTUS.

that would include Democrats, Republicans, Democratic Republicans, Whigs, and Independents.

In short "the other party" excuse doesn't work here.

BL.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Shocking, people didn't care about things that did not exist how DARE they:p

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Didn't mean to hijack this thread (sorry, OP) but I've bashed GOP neocons many, many times in these forums. However, only POTUS makes foreign policy, so everyone and everything else is "yes, so?"

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think opinions vis-a-vis Israel have changed in subtle - but also significant, ways over the past ~ 15 years or so.

Lets get this out of the way: I count myself a tremendous admirer of the Jewish people, as a religion, a culture, and a race. And as a Gentile, I share a feeling of shame at the history of anti-semitism that blights the past thousand years of European history. As an individual I would be willing to - literally - fight and die to protect and preserve both the Jewish state of Israel, and the individual Jewish citizens of that state.

That said - I have become increasingly alarmed and disappointed at the behavior of the Israeli government over the past several years. It is my firm belief that, taking for granted the support of the United States (via the perception of Jewish votes being a deciding factor in US Presidential and congressional elections) the Israeli government has all but abandoned even the pretense of good faith negotiations with the Palestinian people. And that, courtesy of an influx of highly conservative Jewish emigrants from the former Soviet Union, seem now determined on creating a theocratic Jewish state that totally marginalizes any recognition of the historical; legal; or moral rights of Palestinians to live, work, or even exist within the borders of what was - for the past two thousand years - largely Palestinian land.

Bibi Netanyahu has acted disgracefully and disrespectfully towards our President. It strikes me as the absolute height of impropriety for him to interfere in internal US politics. As someone who spent much of his formative life living in the United States, he ought to know and respect the political customs of our country.

It also strikes me as the height of irony that reasonable people are now forced to look to the Israeli intelligence services for common sense voices regarding Israeli policy towards issues such as the building of settlements within the occupied territories and negotiation with a potentially nuclear-armed Iran.

I love and admire Israel and the Jewish people. But the current trajectory is internal Israeli politics is one that seems determined to ignore the legitimate interests of the Palestinian people; thereby creating a permanent source of grievance that can have no legitimate outlet other than violence and terrorism. Israel's government seems to ignore the fact that it is its policies that hand Islamic fundamentalists the biggest club with which they may beat on the nations of western Europe and the United States.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Why does Yemen even have an embassy on the ground? All the diplomacy that we want over there can be achieved from 45,000ft with a fleet of Predators.

23. Scepticalscribe, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A predictably depressing example of a political perspective that is somewhat lacking in an awareness of nuance, depth, or of any knowledge of, or interest in, the wider political context of the region.

On the matter of reducing numbers of staff at the Embassy itself, I imagine that what happened in Benghazi has cast a long shadow for this administration, and that they are anxious to take whatever steps they deem necessary to prevent any sort of recurrence of such a situation, however unlikely this may actually be.

24. FreemanW macrumors 6502

On the contrary . . . . . . this and any conflict goes to support the marketeers and profiteers toward that end.

Step right up, hurry, hurry, get your War On here! Buy now and shipping is two times the cost and we'll make you pay through the nose for a vegetable dicer.

The "war on terror" is capitalisms version of tic tac toe for the slow witted.