US Reduces Staff At The Yemen Embassy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JamesMike, Jan 23, 2015.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

What? Please elaborate.

Can't answer you until you've explained yourself more fully.

But they don't have a dictator obsessed with owning WMD and with the capability of delivering them to our doorstep. They would have had a shot at democracy if we weren't abandoning them so quickly. Why is it we maintained military presences in Japan and Germany for more than 50 years after WWII, but we can't do the same in Iraq?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We won on the battlefield.

But we have a tendency to expect a military victory to achieve more than that.

And that is where the fault lies ... in our expectations of what military force can accomplish.

3. zin macrumors 6502

Please source this. Heck, only 33% of Fox News viewers were fooled into believing Iraq owned WMD at the time. Don't tell me you were in that percentage.

Didn't they ask everybody to leave? They didn't want you there any longer. That is hardly abandonment.

The Middle East is not Europe or Japan, and those countries have not instructed you to leave.

4. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

How so? I don't remember anyone surrendering. It's also worth noting that battles continue in that country like we were never even there.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Far, far worse, in fact.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You don't remember Hussein crawling out of his spider hole and his execution?

7. DUCKofD3ATH, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Iraq was the most likely source of terrorists willing to attack the US. Especially given the fact that Saddam had attempted to assassinate George Bush Sr.; "pursued an extensive biological weapons program and a nuclear weapons program"; had used WMD against his own people; and had paid bounties to the families of successful suicide bombers.

As far as we knew, Saddam had well hidden WMD caches. And he was busy bribing government leaders so as to help him get UN sanctions lifted. Once that had occurred, he'd have been able to pursue his WMD just like Iran has.

What were they supposed to do? Beg us to stay and then be abandoned by the US the way we hung the South Vietnamese out to dry? Once the Democrats have tired of fighting a war, the worst thing to be is one of our allies helping to fight that war.

When he was a candidate for president, Obama stated that he wouldn't let the likelihood of there being a genocide in Iraq following our withdrawal keep him from pulling our troops out. You think the people who would be left behind, those who helped us, didn't see that interview? So of course they wanted to be seen as throwing us out, even though they had to know that our presence was the only way to guarantee a democratic form of government over time.

We hadn't stabbed an ally in the back when we occupied Germany and Japan.

8. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I do, but he wasn't a major player in this "war." It raged on for years after and it is still going; bloodier and more violent than ever.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You've lost me. This little discussion seems to have wandered away from my original point. Considering your brief, recent history here, I have a feeling that is your intent. Is there anything else you'd like to add? The last word is yours.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

But wasn't Saddam your big ALLY against Iran back in the 1980's under a Republican President?

11. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

You posted about the war in Iraq. We're still talking about it. I'm not sure why you feel the need to personally attack me all the time. My history on this board is irrelevant, and please don't accuse me of derailing when that is clearly not the case.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Let's see, we had to fight England for our independence; then they burned down our capitol; then we saved their bacon in WWI and WWII.

Russia was Germany's ally in WWII, then became our ally, then was our enemy in the Cold War.

See the pattern? Alliances are usually fragile and based on immediate circumstances.

As far as Iraq vs Iran was concerned, supporting Iraq at the time was a matter of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Iran being our enemy.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Wow from that list, it just looks like the US is **** friend to have your back.:p

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You lost me. All the four-letter words that fit in those asterisks don't work with the context.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Don't worry I'm sure you'll think of something.:D:p:D:p

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've narrowed it down to either "bead" or "fork".

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Not right, but you do win a CRACKER.:p:D:p:D

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

[​IMG]

...what'd you call me?

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We should co-opt the Houthi with briefcases full of cash. They are bitter enemies of ISIS and Al Qaeda.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You heard me the first time.....A savoury biscuit.:D:p:D:p

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The most important thing is that I'm crunchy. No one likes stale crackers.

...cept maybe Aerok. He likes that Townhouse crap.

22. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Crumbs now you are making this about Riz or Townhouse.:eek:

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hey, it's a worthy topic. One that needs to be discussed. But MBPr is right. We're kinda derailing the thread over it.

Maybe one day soon, some brave soul will start up a cracker thread. But until that day comes, I'll have to voice my opinions where I can, when I can.