US Republican politics and religious issues

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 2, 2015.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The New Yorker’s Amy Davidson writes on religion and GOP politics in her commentary today - God and the GOP

Maybe these guys should just talk about the weather instead of getting out on those dicey limbs about other people's ideas on religion, marriage, abortion, etc. Perhaps they mean to stick to topics like economic or foreign policy but if there's any way to stumble over a social hot button issue instead, they so often seem to go there, and then even their further comments that are more on topic end up sounding harsh, out of touch or just off the mark for mainstream consumption.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If they did, they would have more of a chance of getting someone like me to vote for them. As long as they continue to be on the wrong side of these social issues, I'm lost as a voter for them.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

And the beat goes on... Right attacks RNC over Israel trip

But of course the trip went on anyway...

So then even after the right started butting heads with the GOP’s national committee leadership on this thing -- per the first couple of quotes below-- all the head of the RNC did after that was offer one of the most hair-splitting remarks one can make while still doing exactly what one wants to do.

You can be a supporter of Israel and an evangelical Christian without insisting on riling up the rest of the potential Republican electorate! Why is he even heading up the RNC if they want to attract the bigger tent they need to win a national election? Maybe the GOP just really wants to have someone to complain about in the White House rather than elect a Republican. It's easier, right?

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well I guess that's it for Republican Catholics in leadership positions... :rolleyes:

Who would have imagined a liberal Pope? It's a conservative horror movie. :D

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hmmmm, maybe I should start reading something besides the cartoons in the New Yorker.