US settles royalty dispute with Indian tribes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

Interesting. In my Cross-Cultural Counseling class in graduate school we studied the American Indian culture from a therapy perspective. The generational poverty and identity struggles are pretty astounding.

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, just pumping money into the tribes isn't going to 'break the cycle of poverty.' That's just government speak. I'm glad Obama is doing this, but at the same time no amount of money will compensate the native population for what was done to them and no amount of money will 'break the cycle.' The cycle will break, in my opinion, when natives can 'buy into' or believe in the social and economic system that was built at the expense of their lives and their land. That is no easy task.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree with you that it is a good thing this lawsuit has been settled. However, I believe that native Americans are already turning their lives around on their own. Continuing to victimize them does nobody any good. There probably aren't that many Native Americans alive today who can remember even the mass resettlements.

Just as jews will have to permanently lower their victim flag when the last death camp survivor dies, so do Native Americans need to move on and stop blaming everything on the "white man". Immense progress has been made in the last two decades, there's no doubt in my mind that they will continue to find their way forward in a positive way.