US shootings: Mitch McConnell dismisses demands to recall Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 9, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So how many mass shootings will happen during the recess? Any that happen will continue to bloody Mitch's hands

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49292111

Meanwhile, Trump is on twitter forgetting that he signed a bill negating the Obama era's restrictions on firearms and the mentally ill. And does the President serve the NRA... or the people of this country?

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.11.50 AM.png

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Plenty more will happen after recess. Neither side has a solution

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Do nothing continues to be a strategy I cannot ever support. So whatever happens during the recess is acceptable to you? VS what - cramping congresspeople's vacation time?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

What you and I may support & what congress does are two vastly different things , cops have no duty to protect and you guys seemingly can’t grasp that

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Ridiculous strawman - who is talking about cops and their duty to protect?

Your post does nothing to address my comment... not surprized though.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump and many others say guns should not be in the hands of mentally ill people. Sounds good and like something everyone would agree with BUT who decides if someone is mentally ill? Is the federal or state government going to decide if one is mentally fit to own a gun? Isn’t that determination quite subjective? And isn’t there a very good chance it would be politicized? I think it’s a dangerous path to go down.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You guys can’t see the Forrest for the trees. You want stupid feel good laws that basically do nothing , hell what in particular do you want congress to do ?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Pretty vague and can be expanded as they see fit like the patriot act. No thanks

9. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Anyone who has lost their cool at any point qualifies, don't they?

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Who is you guys? Once again - more strawman. You have no argument other than to say you don't think anything can or should be done.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So basically everyone then.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much the plan for many liberals.

13. pshufd macrumors 65816

If you've had mentally ill people in your family, you know it.

It's exhausting to deal with and it's not something that is vague or uncertain.

And if you know it, then you're probably not going to be happy if they get a gun.

So I would put in place some kind of outreach to family members to report mental health problems. The main problem is if it's just a recording place and not something that actually helps those with mental illnesses.

If you really want to get a gun, you can get a gun.

14. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

That's your extrapolation.

I can only imagine a scenario in a gun fight with 100 people, only if 10% lose their cool, the outcome is deterministic. The question is how do you per-identify that theoretical 10% out of 100.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    Last I checked, we are in a country founded on liberal principles.

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

But this hypothetical 10% who lose their cool...does that happen all the time or is it situational? Does it depend if other things are involved (like alcohol)?

16. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I think that would be straying from the question, have anyone who has lost your cool and had a gun in their hand, would the outcome be any different?
    Let me help you, amygdalae in the brain is driving the anger (fight or flight) response, the part of brain that cannot process rational thought process. You can imagine the rest of the scenario.

Well that's science, we don't care about science. ;)

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Simple - psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers, who are the same people who can decide whether a given person is unfit to be a parent, is mentally incompetent, or requires commitment to inpatient mental health care. Personally, I think the police should be added to the list to allow for temporary confiscation of weapons until the mental health care workers can evaluate a person considered at risk. Of course any decision to confiscate weapons and ammunition should be subject to judicial review.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

fine, what do YOU want congress to pass.

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So how would that work in practice? If someone wants to buy a gun they have to go through a psychological test in order to get one? How is that constitutional?

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I bet event he ACLU stand up against that.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't know. But I want them meeting and discussing the issue. Or are you cool with that conversation not happening for several weeks? Oh wait - you've already said you are.

22. pshufd macrumors 65816

I'd like to bring back state-funded mental health hospitals.

Provide instruction in high-school to recognize mental illness to students.

Notify authorities if there's suspicion of mental health problems.

Make it easier for families to get treatment or involuntary loss of freedom for family members.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you don't know, what makes you think they do? why should a vacation be cut short when they don't know what to do?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    thanks for answering.
    1. each state can already do that, I am guessing they don't since they are busy buying one way bus tickets for the homeless away from their cities .
    2. agree, the OH shooter and the parkland shooter were both serious nut cases that were able to buy guns
    3. no problem there.
    4. red flag laws, not that happy about them but I do hope they end up working, problem I have with it is many laws start to get expanded as the GOVT sees fit for "your safety" ..

24. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Que sera is not a policy, it is pushing for the status quo. No surprise there.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

More likely if a person is viewed at risk by law enforcement, then the mental health professionals evaluate them. In the UK police do conduct interviews with people who want a firearm licence, but as you say that might not be constitutional in the US. Mind you, I think we should amend the Constitution to make explicit what the government can and cannot regulate about firearms.