US slowly losing freedom of speech rights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Dec 17, 2018.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Slowly but surely freedom of speech is being taken away from people in the US and your future job comes basically makes you promise being loyal to Israel to get and keep your job. So in order to get and keep a job in America you have to make promises of loyalty to a foreign country/state.. Do such laws exist for all countries around the world and for all jobs in America or are certain ones being picked out now..?

Is this part of the MAGA plan..? What about China? What about Saudi Arabia? What about Thailand? What about Iran? What about Cuba? The list goes on..

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Thought it was a post about all the people who want to be coddled and have safe spaces everywhere

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Appalling.

Don't make it about Trump, because it's not.
    1. It started under Obama.
    2. it looks like states have been doing that for a while, and it's kinda a bipartisan approach.

Some links:
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-signs-anti-bds-bill-into-law/

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/anti-bds-legislation

https://www.jta.org/2016/02/23/unit...ds-laws-aim-to-legitimize-israeli-settlements

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.2270.v2.htm
    well, that is a load of fecal matter, wonder if the ACLU is on it.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Like the president threatening to sue NBC because Saturday Night Live is mean to him?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

oh look, OBAMA is MAGA...............
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    you can sue just about anyone.................but ask Stormy Daniels how it works out................

8. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Whether it was Obama or Trump who signed it I don’t think that American jobs should be contingent on their foreign policy opinions. That law is no less biased then those it wishes to silence.

Does this law apply to all countries around the world as well or just one chosen one?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I do wonder why the ACLU has not stepped in and I agree this crap should not fly here.

10. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

11. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I could see laws like this passing and flying in Saudi Arabia,UAE,China,North Korea, Iran,Syria, Myanmar, Cambodia, Thailand, Israel and others along that line but America now too? Just who writes these laws and makes sure that they get passed in America..? One can’t say that we don’t have biased government officials at the highest levels in our government today.

Why not ban any form of criticism,Boycotting and sanctioning period in America then? Then perhaps we could be like all the other regimes around the world :eek: :rolleyes:
    Looks like Israel is rewriting or amending the 1st Amendment for Americans to their own likings. Now imagine if China,Saudi,Russia, North Korea and others started dictationg such laws for us to pass as well..?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't mind setting it as a general rule for the class and the actual teaching, but I do mind when it has to do with what happens outside of the work hours. At work she certainly can't lecture politically, but outside of work it's her life and no one should care. Heck, I wouldn't ask for my kids' teachers removal even if they did X-rated videos outside of work. As long as they are professional in class, nothing else matters.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I don't think we're losing our freedom of speech as we are being held accountable for it in the court of public opinion. Everyone has a voice and now, instead of just overhearing something, it's broadcast to millions within seconds. The digital age has completely changed the landscape.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

True.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

BUT not EVERYONE should have a voice...........
    the following SHOULD be silenced for the greater good
    the Krapdashians
    Rap music
    Alex Jones
    Trump
    Clintons
    Jersey Shore
    Maury Povich
    Jerry Springer
    Dr Phil.
    Oprah
    teen mom......................................

freedom is not pretty..........

:p

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am very torn on this one. On the one side, yeah they are crap. On the other side, they really helped a plethora of attractive ladies to be less timid on IG or other social media, and now I can study them all. For science.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    love the internet.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

ahahhahaha this one is gold!!! [runs to delete ~/PersonalStuff directory]

20. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

That makes sense.. One has to be reasonable though and if the want to pass such laws and policies then they need to be applied equally to all otherwise such laws would be filled with bias,bigotry and hypocrisy.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

welcome to Murika, land of the free.............wait, do you have a permit for that free speech? no? off to jail you go.......
    get this
    [​IMG]

22. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

You may lose that freedom down the road as well when more new amendments start being made. Palestinians already get arrested by Israeli police and military for comments being made online so if things are going down the same road by the same people making amendments to our laws in the US so that they are similar to theirs is not a good sign. This law is basically similar to many laws that already exist in Israel which are designed to suppress and oppress Palestinians in Palestine from receiving international support. Such laws are only meant silence and suppress people from voicing their opinions or thoughts. Such laws normally only exist in countries under dictatorship rule or in communist countries. For such laws to exist in Democratic countries is wrong.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Unless an employer intends on providing a continued income for someone throughout each step of each of their day, then they should get no say in what someone's opinions, thoughts, or statements are outside of work, especially if done while not speaking on behalf of the company they work for. Does no one recall intro screens that (used to?) air on programs before people gave opinion pieces?

[​IMG]

It's the consolidation of acceptable thought that is the most troubling part. That the views and opinions expressed must now reflect the policies and positions of the platform from which it's viewed. Apparently unless they force you to abide by ridiculous litmus tests like this thread's topic, and one decides to sign away their right to speech (similar to signing an NDA and such). It's ridiculously stronghanded, and I've personally walked away from similar situations in my own past. Employment is not worth signing away your mind and thoughts.

You lose your freedom of speech when society essentially corners you into either parroting the acceptable thoughts, or risk quite literally losing everything to a mob (that won't even remember you three days later).

Or the UK

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...peech-comedy-joke-iran-offended-a8270631.html

24. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

...............jkcerda ;)

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

THAT dude is crazy for sure.......
    [​IMG]