US smoker's daughter gets $13.8m

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I actually side with Philip Morris here. I don't encourage the company's actions at all, but it's not as if smokers aren't warned of the risks.

3. whitebook macrumors regular

wow, so i should start smoking, get lung cancer and sue when im 60 and make a small fortune :rolleyes:

id love to have been in the jury for that one

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm with Phillip Morris on this. Absolutely frivolous lawsuit.

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Better yet, get one of your parents to start smoking so you can sue and live off the millions.

Christ these lawsuits are getting more bizarre by the day.

I wonder how many of them actually get paid out. And is it a lump sum? ;)

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

"My mom willfully pushed poison into her body for 47 years and now she's day. It's your fault!"

Jeez, I'm a smoker (trying to quit, though) and at least I know that if it kills me, it's my damn fault.

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I thought the point they had with these sorts of law suits was that back in the day people were actively encouraged to start smoking, health risks were kept quiet, and the tobacco companies made a fortune. By the time they let slip that smoking will do you serious damage it was too late for many people, they were addicted. It's these people who have a case against them, because they were essentially lied to.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

$28B?!?! That's crazy, how can anyone think that that is an acceptable amount!?

Still $28M and then $13.8M is just as crazy.

Best start smoking eh...

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That's different. They were mislead. Unless we have proof that this girl's mother was mislead in any way?

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is the context that needs to be remembered. Companies like Philip Morris actively lied and obsfucated the scientific evidence that smoking was killing people to protect their profits. They also fabricated "scientific" evidence to the contrary. This is a great site on tobacco control which also has many, many documents from the ugly past of these tobacco companies. And they're not much better these days. Profits first. People's lives second.

The number of these judgements is growing day by day. Hopefully they'll hit critical mass and we'll be purged of these companies for good.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thats the way I read it too.

She started smoking in 1956 when what edesignuk described was going on.

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You don't need proof, you only need to look at her age [64], when she died [2003] and how long she'd been smoking [47 years] to see the how long ago it all started. Definitely in the days when the tobacco companies were being very naughty indeed.

Does anyone know what year the "truth" really came out? Meaning after that point you have no case against them, the risks were well publicised.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

She's 64, so surely she was around at the time when smoking was "safe"...?

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You're right, I didn't think about that. I'm so used to all these American lawsuits being complete bullcrap that I didn't notice a proper one.

15. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

One puff of a cigarette will tell you that it's no good for you whether you were growing up in 1952 or 1992.

If the government cares that much they will ban smoking, but they won't because lots of people like to do it and the government makes some money out of it.

As for putting them out of business, fine but you'll just get some other company take their place.

The tobacco companies do need to be punished for false advertising, but giving joe bloggs 200 million won't do no good, how about making them build a few hospitals instead?

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Even less than 20 years ago, tobacco companies were arguing that cigarettes were causing only psychological addiction, not physiological. In that sense truth date is fairly recent. However, cancer risk was fairly obvious twenty years ago, possibly even earlier. There is also the light cigarette scam, which may push the truth date to even more recent times.

In any case, I was on the side of tobacco companies quite a bit, until I saw the magazine adds from the 50s or 60s that went with the taglines that said "Two out of three doctors smoke Camels". After that, I say "sue them all."

17. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Well your children could make a small fortune, because you'd be dead.. :D

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Actors, dentists, doctors . . .

Chesterfield Reagon.jpg smoking-exhibitix.jpg u100810A.jpg

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My dad is 62 and has smoked like a chimney since he was 13. He's said it was definitely encouraged back then, and not in a "cool kid" sort of way. He said he was told over and over that smoking was actually healthy for you.

Crazy.

He knows he will likely die due to lung disease, but he hasn't stopped or cut back because he is way beyond being addicted. He simply now smokes a cheaper brand than Marlboro.

Hmm. Maybe I should start lookin' for a lawyer, eh?

;)

20. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm glad this lawsuit is happening.

yes, people can try to quit smoking, but smoking was promoted as the 'cool' thing

Add in the fact that these tobacco companies tweak the nicotine and other related crap to make the cigarettes more addicting, it's deserved!

21. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

wowwwwwwwwww im a smoker and i would blame myself for dieing because of cigarettes... how about the millions of other families that were affected by cigarette related deaths?

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes this is a bit silly. but how can you feel sorry for a company whose product only benefits it's self. it does not help it's consumers it hurts and kills them. there is no safe way to use it.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

1994 to 1996, I believe. Jeffrey Wigand went on 60 Minutes (or maybe 20/20?) in early 1996, at any rate.

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

$13.8 million? :eek:

Now, why didn't I start suing the tobacco companies when my mother died? I would have been happy with $2 million (after taxes and any court/lawyer fees of course).

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Kids, what have we learned from this?

Smoking = $$$!

Next time someone on these boards asks how they can save for a new Mac, tell them to start smoking.