US Soldier Goes on Civilian Killing Spree.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. citizenzen Suspended

We need to get out of Afghanistan ... bring our soldiers back home.

And they can go on shooting sprees here.

:rolleyes:

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Just read about this a few minutes ago. Absolutely horrific. We have got to withdraw our troops for this and so many other reasons. No more.

(As an aside, I saw Romney Friday when he spoke here in Birmingham. I was very disappointed by his subtle, hawkish, military-occupation-status-quo comments.)

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

5. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Might happen, of course maybe it's time to end this constant cycle of violence. As a country we've been at war for the vast majority of our history, it's time to stop thinking peace can be found at the end of a gun barrel.

Violence begets violence.

But maybe "peace" isn't what people want or were designed for. :rolleyes:

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree, you can't fix a ****ed up country that doesn't want to be helped. Lets just call it a loss and end this war before more of our troops are senselessly murdered.

7. Fazzy macrumors 6502

How can you say that 'this is to be expected'?? Don't you expect a soldier, whom is being trusted to protect civilians to have any sort of morals?

The US army has a serious problem of their soldiers going phsyco. After so many instances, its not crazy to wonder whether their internal system is not to blame, as well as the "rogue" soldiers who did the act.

8. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just tired on anyone getting murdered.

The Taliban is f'ed up, Saddam Hussein was f'ed up, Israel and Palestine are both f'ed up and America is f'ed up.

There are bad guys out there sure. But killing the next "bad guy" isn't going to solve the problem until were willing to recognize and confront the evil and ignorance in ourselves.

Because that's where these "bad guys" come from, they come from us no every evil overlord comes to power with the support of hundreds of "decent hardworking people" with a little axe to grind.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Pressured by two wars, several tours of duty, fuzzy objectives, insurgent populations, random suicide bombs; there is lots of mental damage going on and no help at the end of the pipe.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The people they are trying to protect are turning on them, no wonder our solders are snapping now. This will be Vietnam all over again.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

If you have served time in Afghanistan or Iraq, I wouldn't have to explain myself.

The amount of stress that is caused by being in a war zone causes outbreaks like this to happen.

12. citizenzen Suspended

I actually think eric/ is right.

I can't think of any prolonged military action that didn't have it's share of atrocities against civilians. It's another form of collateral damage ... and yet another reason why we need to stop using war as a method of addressing our problems.

13. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Honestly what do you think is going to happen?

You give some ignorant kid the training and the tools to kill, you desensitize them to pain and violence.

You put them into an environment where almost no one likes you and some people are actively trying to kill them.

And what you expect them to stay sane?

War is madness and madness is catching.

14. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Which is why the military should have more thorough checks in place to make sure that their soldiers are to actually be trusted with their job, and a system that can make sure its soldiers are mentally capable.

Im not trying to provoke anyone here, but why is it always an American soldier who snaps and goes on massacres? (be that at a milatary base or on tour)
    i've only heard of one major one in the UK of such a thing happening.

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Without having researched it, I'm guessing the - or at least "an" - answer is matter of mathematical probability - that the US has more active "fighting" soldiers than any other country. Just a guess.

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Because it's the American soldier that goes on tour after tour, year long tours, etc....

And it's not about checking anybody. You can't predict what will make somebody snap.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its a numbers game. They are many more US soldiers in the field fighting for longer and longer periods of time. I'm sure the Russians were doing the same in the 80s, you just didn't here about it.

18. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Good point. The US does have tenfold more soldiers than the UK in Afghanistan, so I guess it is a probability thing.

19. citizenzen Suspended

Greatly enhancing the probability is putting the soldier in that position in the first place.

Can we please stop using war as a means to forwarding our interests? :mad:

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Also, not to discount the efforts of other countries that are involved in this mess, but I believe it's mostly the US soldiers who are on the front lines and are more susceptible to mental issues like PTSD which could make them snap.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Typical. Did you type that while sipping your $6 coffee at Starbucks?

Pound some dirt then come back here and click on the edit button.

22. citizenzen Suspended

I had no idea this is why we went to war ... to preserve our right to over-priced coffee.

Who knew? :rolleyes:

23. Fazzy macrumors 6502

No. Its just that I think its outrageous that so many soldiers are free to continue their job until breaking point, and harm so many civilians in the process.
    And Yes, before you ask I place the death of 15 innocent civilians above a single soldier who went 'rouge'.

Also, I prefer tea over coffee.:)

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is the wrong phase to use as pounding dirt does work and it does compact that dirt.

The correct phrase to us is Pound sand as sand does not compact.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

It's all to easy to sit over here and judge the events happening over there.

I have seen some friends come back with a completely different mindset and personality.
    a close friend that just got out, was telling us that he would be patroling in a crowded street and people would just start falling. Falling from being shot and killed. essentially clearing a path to get to the Americans. There is no consideration for life over there.

Having been on subs and underwater for months at a time, each time you come back there is something very different about you. People crack and it isn't pretty. They end up sedated and shipped off as soon as possible. That man could have been me, or the guy sitting next to me.

No matter how much training one has there is only so much a mind can take.

To say the least, this event is tragic. The world lost 19 people, 18 dead and one not dead their only future will be in some type of facility.

The situation is tragic all around.

We need to get out of there. However, it looks like Syria is the next stop before bringing the troops home.

----------

thank you