US State dept issues travel warning for ALL of Europe.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Mar 23, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

"Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation,” the department said

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...tment-issues-travel-warning-for-all-of-europe

With all the problems in Europe, this could be the end of any economic recovery they hoped for. Tourism in Europe is a huge part of their economy.

I wonder how many rich people in Europe are getting out and/or moving their investments out.

Looks like the beginning of the end of Europe.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

let's not be overly dramatic, I would have no issues going to Europe if I could afford to do so. hell I go to Mexico pretty often & things are fine .

3. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Got to love how news sites blow things out of proportion. It's not as if nothing bad ever happens in the US.:rolleyes:
    I'm going on trips with family to Holland and Spain later this year and I'm not worried about terror threats. You can't do much to prevent them so why disrupt your travel plans for a bunch of nutjobs who potentially may perform attacks. If anything the terrorists would probably like it if their plans stopped you from doing things you had planned to do.

4. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

It's not some "news sites" ... this is the US State dept.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The US State Department is obligated to warn citizens of all travel related hazards around the world. As a frequent international traveler who has lived abroad, I get warning notices in my inbox on a regular basis.

Like it or not, Americans are often targeted - as news reports are now saying about the Brussels attack at the American Airlines desk and the subway station nearest to the American Embassy.

You may feel perfectly safe traveling anywhere, however I've been in sketchy security conditions in several different countries while traveling on business, and I for one appreciate their diligence.

6. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Fair enough I didn't read the article in depth. I still stand by my point that things are often blown out of proportion.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The US State Department is always overly paranoid.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

better safe than sorry.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Better fled than dead.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm glad my sister took a flight back from Paris last night. On prearranged schedule, but timely in my estimation.

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This is so funny. Just yesterday there was an article published which said that London was the most popular destination in the world. You are more likely to he shot by one of the gun nuts in America than experience any kind of terrorist activity in Europe.

13. zin macrumors 6502

The State Department issues two kinds of alerts: a warning and an alert.

Alerts are temporary bulletins of information that the Department "thinks you should know about" before travelling. Warnings are full-on advisories not to travel. This is a travel alert.

You've blown this way out of proportion. Not that I'm surprised, given who the OP is.

Enjoy the ride, you've earned it.

14. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Your chances of being involved in a terrorist incident in Europe are vanishingly small.

The 7/7 attacks in London in 2005 killed 52 people. That's awful. It was also nearly 11 years ago and there's been nothing like it in London since.

So that's an average of 5 people killed per year because of terrorism. Vastly more people are killed on the roads in traffic accidents.

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Nice try with the doomsday talk. Here's a hint.. Your buddies in the fear mongoring, war hawking, fascist police state development welcome you to their cell
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    You guys act like petrified children

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Are burkas mandatory in the Islamic Republic of Europe?

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope. Just prudently avoiding hanging out with the lemmings.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

84,000 fatalities last year in Europe. From road fatalities.

Don't forget the US has the Homeland Security level set at Elevated - Significant Risk of Terrorist Attacks.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nice thing about living in the Islamic Republic of Europe is that since everyone has his head in the sand, nobody cares what you wear.

20. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

The issue here is that there are millions of these people that are not traceable and they can attack at any time.

Some talk about car accidents and other things, but it's the intention of the action and that you don't expect to die with a bullet in the head at a concert or getting blown up getting coffee.

If we take the same stance as you, we'll start being concerned when more people die from terrorist than car accidents?

Don't forget, these people are just getting started and won't stop until they are dead. Who wants to live in the middle east?

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You don't expect a car to hit you, or someone to shoot you, but both of those things are more likely to get you killed here in the US than any terrorist act in Europe. And if you're dead, you're dead, you won't care about the intention of the action.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Consider that terrorism is one more layer of danger in addition to all prior cited examples of accident.

In accident, the careful and aware person can avoid to a large extent. That same care and awareness will do little against a sudden attack from those hiding in plain sight.

23. zin macrumors 6502

Then you should care more (a lot more) about Americans doing just that to other Americans by means of firearm.

Some inconsistency here, no?

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

Separate argument. Search on guns and you'll find scores of threads to ply your interests.