"US Strategy in Afghanistan is Doomed to Fail"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/03/mideast/afghan.php?page=2

Just how many puppet governments can the US operate the strings of at one time? Isn't it time this charade ended?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Isn't America's achilles heel in thinking that it/she can fully control them to begin with, or more precisely, be able to mould countries, without having it sow the seed for a whirlwind later on?

For America, i'd imagine there must be some consternation about the $ and the oil market. How much control would there be if the rowdy countries start operating in another currency? To come back to the topic - There have been enough historic lessons that could be drawn about trying to invade/control Afghanistan and other countries. They have a much longer look at timespans. It does seems strange as to why we're in these countries, bar "we kinda mucked around, and now we feel guilty about potentially creating a vacuum by just leaving quickly"...

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've always hated Obama's insistence that Afghanistan is ''the right battlefield''. It's not the right battlefield, it never was. Iraq was even worse.

Nobody is learning from history, here. Afghanistan isn't a place where you can just go in, kill a few people and get 'victory'. There is no victory in a place like Afghanistan, there is no victory against a disorganised group like the Taliban.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Very interesting read. I have not seen a great deal of this sentiment expressed. Mostly, it has been about insufficient troop levels. Also, with all of the focus on the campaigns, foreign affairs is not getting enough of my attention.

I think es makes some good points about the futility of trying to win a military victory there. The afghanis are ferocious fighters - ask the Russians. We are on their home court, which is a huge advantage to them. They are also very smart. I think it is time to reassess why we are there.

1.) Capture/kill Bin Laden
    2.) Capture/kill Al Queda members
    3.) Capture/kill the Taliban

These seem to be the major reasons, and we are failing at all of them. So, the questions now become, are these achievable goals, what would it take to guarantee success, and is the reward worth the cost? It does not appear some very knowledgeable people think so.

For the US, withdrawing from Afghanistan would be admitting defeat. I do not think we can bring ourselves to do that right now, regardless of what common sense might dictate. If we end up with four more years of republican rule, it definitely will not happen. In fact, I doubt if anyone would make that call, right now.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Pakistan is a "user" state. They play both roles very well.

The U.S., by comparison, is but a child.

Why do Humans always play this rook-pawn crap??

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think in many ways the evidence is more clear that Afghanistan is like all-expense-paid cruise tickets on the failboat. The "vision" has been seen through there and there just is no emerging evidence of the creation of stability. To continue to spend time in Afghanistan without a dramatic strategic shift is ludicrous. Even with a dramatic shift... to what? Why does anyone believe we can solve their problems given our repeated failures in the various things we have done there in the past 20-30 years?

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

:confused:

Nobody from Iraq attacked us on 9/11.

Lol. No victory is possible? if it's not possible there, what makes you think we should even be TRYING to achieve 'victory' in Iraq?

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well opium production has risen since the US invaded. I'd imagine that would be seen as a success to certain groups of people. :confused:

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm not sure if you think I've said that they have, or if you're just not reading what I've written properly but either way, I don't know why you've written that.

No. I think history has shown us, both long and short term, that a war like this in Afghanistan is not winnable.

I don't and I don't know why you think I do. I'm a long time opponent to the war. I marched against the war and I've slammed it every step of the way - before and during, and I'll sure as **** slam it afterwards.

I don't get what you're trying to say or what your point is.

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I have repeatedly and regretfully accepted the UK's share of responsibility for the clusterf*ck that is "western" foreign policy, but the US is certainly the prime mover.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Whilst it's a clusterf*ck for the vast majority of humans for those bastards pushing Chicago school economics it's merely a nice little earner.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

In other news, bear excrement found in forest.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Those who cannot learn from history…

"Did I not say so?" cried Colonel Dennie. "Here comes the messenger…"
    [​IMG]