US supplying 20 major aircraft to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Nov 15, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

KABUL, Nov. 15 (Xinhua) -- The United States, as part of its efforts to boost the capacity of the fledgling Afghanistan Air Force, pledged on Sunday to donate 20 aircrafts and of these two C-27 have been handed to Afghanistan.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-11/15/content_12463706.htm

This is a practically brand new Aircraft designated the "Joint Cargo Aircraft" by the US Military.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-27J_Spartan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LfrmjM9hw

Looks like Afghanistan is now on the way to being yet-another-regime flooded with major American military assets. Though it appears that, unlike other countries, much of these assets are “donated” to them. Soon, what? F-16’s? Warthogs? Apaches? Joint Strike Fighter???

Thoughts? :)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only reason I want to see donations heading towards afghanistan is as parting gifts.

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Those "military assets" you casually mention being sold to Afghanistan mean more American production and manufacturing jobs; besides it is U.S. policy not to transfer the latest technology in military sales abroad... the aircraft you mention, with the exception of the JSF, are all decade-old assets. I like these sales abroad as they keep the American-seembly line production moving and more Americans working.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well heck then, we have a bunch of old F-14s, and Iran has some they need to upgrade or maintain!

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't worry. When we're done in Afghanistan and Pakistan, We'll get to them. They won't feel left out. Lots of oil mean big ticket items! lol

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Much of the construction of this aircraft is by Alenia Aeronautica in Italy. They're fairly new aircraft.

I'd have thought the US would be better of giving them slightly older C130's (the aircraft they're replacing with the new C27) which are going to be worth less, and are more US-centric in manufacture.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The "fledgling Afghanistan Air Force" as you put it is the air support arm of the US led armed forces (CAPTF) in that region. So this is actually just the US building up forces and weapons in that region. Hmm, I wonder if this is intended to act as operations support for when the USA invades Pakistan - coming soon to a theater near - well, Pakistan. :p

Also, it sure doesn't sound like fun for whoever those 6,000 M16 rifles (mentioned in your link) are going to be pointed at! :eek: I wonder if Fort Hood was engineered to garner support for whatever they're planning? :eek:

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yup!!

That's what we did in Iran,Iraq and Pakistan..

hmm...

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

"On the way"? Who do you think gave them weapons to fight off the Soviets?

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

USS Maine, RMS Lusitania, 11 SEP 01, and now Ft. Hood? Is there anything else I'm forgetting?:rolleyes:

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

JFK, RFK, JFK Jr., The NWO, WWI, WWII, Almost every South American War, Israel, Afghanistan, Iraq, Arabia... Oooooh, need I go on? Can I include Russian, Asian, and European governments too? :D

I know, don't you just hate being smart enough and informed enough to actually consider the facts? It kinda sucks for the whole "sheep" concept doesn't it?

I still want to find out the answers to those questions tho!

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pearl Harbor?;)

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Um, not quite what I meant...

15. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, to my understanding, the frame is from Italy. The engine and guts are from US. So it's more like Itally is putting a transport shell arround the core of the plane.