US to take in 872 refugees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 31, 2017.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I wonder what countries and what the situations were. Those aiding US troops should after being vouched for by troops they served with should be given a pass to the front of the line.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My guess is they've already gone through the extensive vetting process and have been deemed GTG.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

agreed. glad Starbucks is hiring them.

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I hope they are spoken for and properly vetted. That's all I can ask for really.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They get a pass because they are "Brown". If white Christians were lighting gay people on fire and flinging them off buildings their tune would be a tad different.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Everyone is so afraid to be politically incorrect and labeled a racist they sometimes let the most heinous crimes occur right under their noses.

I don't give a crap what color your skin is, what religion you carry, what gender you are, or anything else for that matter. You kill people, you pay a consequence.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This is different and it's one of the reasons the left has lost a lot recently. When an incident like San Bernadino occurs their first reaction is "we have to be nice to all Muslims", not "How do we stop **** from blowing up around here". They refuse to acknowledge that the "Fringe" is bigger than they're leading many on to believe and that it is in the name of Islam. It's 120 proof religion by the book, not this suburban "we go to church twice a year for Easter and X-mas 40 proof ****"

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yet when it's a white supremacist doing the killing the right says. Don't take our guns away!

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No more than when a gang member in Chicago kills someone. The gun issue is a separate issue that is self inflicted.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All sides come up with excuses for why violence happens and whose to blame.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Except the gun issue isn't holding the GOP from winning local, state, and federal elections.

12. lowendlinux, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Whose everyone? The politically correct liberal is as much of a construct as the backwards bayou republican. Both of these people exist and both are ignored by the general population and completely irrelevant.

We have an ingrained construct that we tend to imply to everyone we dislike. I'm a lib who drives a 13 MPG getting lifted Jeep, I own now 17 guns, I have a switchblade collection that would make conservatives blush, and I'm an old infantry soldier that has made his life's mission to make current soldiers lives as easy as possible in any way I can. I'm from the country more than a little redneck who believes transgendered people should choose the restroom they identify with, I believe in the right of universal healthcare, I believe that gun problem is young men who have justifiably no belief in the system because society has let down their end of the social bargain. The people you don't like come in all shapes, sizes, and total belief systems there really is nothing to be afraid of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Marry me :D

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My wife would kick both of our asses and she's scary ;)

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Shhhhhhhhhh!!! If you point out their hypocrisy and general ignorance you're going to make their heads explode

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You really thinking taking away guns will solve the violence that's built up in our current society? Especially if you are against more strict immigration laws? We ban guns right? Guess who will still have them? Yeah, that's right. The drug dealers, gangs, etc. We'll end up looking like Mexico with corruption and rampant chaos spreading like a disease.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Okay, I should have been more specific that there are huge amounts of people, groups, and countries out there who are afraid to offend those of another culture. Even if said culture is not assimilating and instead wrecking their ability to live as they have. Essentially endangering their way of life. I shouldn't have said "Everyone".

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So let's end the stupid war on drugs and really get drugs off the streets by allowing the government to control the flow.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

If anything more tax dollars right?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is the selling point that matters to government.

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Just one slight off topic question then. Say the government did legalize all drugs. Would that increase or decrease the costs for healthcare?

Scenario A) More people self medicate. More may die but less will go to the hospital.

Scenario B) More will go to the hospitals with overdoses, car or other accidents, etc.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Actually there isn't my wife is a Bavarian CSU member (Merkel's party) that thinks the Germans need to stop the influx of ME immigrants for the time being until there is a structure in place to integrate them properly. She's protested, written letters, and given furniture and groceries to our Syrian neighbors. You think that people are quiet because that's what you're being told, and BREXIT, AFD, FN, and PVV nationalism racing across Europe in response to the "immigrant crisis". Is there outrage here and in the states YES are any of the politicians long lived or more than single issued no, will they last, no. Humans are more complex than politicians they elect politicians reflect their time not the people they represent.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

So you're saying there is absolutely no group or set of laws in certain countries that bar or dissuade any type of reaction based on religion, race, etc?