US-trained and "vetted" commando joins ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/commander-trained-to-fight-terrorism-joins-isis/vi-BBkpgZR

Oh yeah. Are you listening John McCain? A supposedly "vetted" commando, trained in US soil by Blackwater, trained in counter-terror tactics…. JUST defected to ISIS. Watch the video where he says he would love to come and kill us Americans in our cities.

Yup. Trained by Blackwater. And as of today, a bearded ISIS commander.

How idiotic that we are creating thousands more of these "vetted" foreign Muslim militants among the "moderate" Syrian rebels.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

I guess 'Murica isn't land of the free to some after all.

I'm not convinced ISIS is the organisation to join either though......

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This has been a growing problem for the US military, as it tries to fight wars by proxy.

Green on blue attacks in Afghanistan, have been for some time the main cause of casualties, it even caused the death of a General.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Gotcha. It's not that the lone man is a nut, but it is an indictment of the entire country of America and its military.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's a video so I didn't watch but was he only a Blackwater contractor or a Vet or both?

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Neither.

He was a Tajik who was trained at a Blackwater-owned facility in the US. He doesn't appear to speak English, and as far as his military skills? He shot a tomato with a sniper rifle from a distance of about twenty meters.

All this story tells me is how little the US media, and watching public, really understand about ISIS, and why people would even consider joining such an organization.

Start by reading this Atlantic Magazine article for a primer.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

He ends the article with the following, which I think should prompt an American leader with guts to allow the military to do the kind of job they know how to do: Kill the enemy. Not unlike what had to be done with the Japanese under Hirohito, who simply were not going to quit, and who are now productive members of the world.

Atlantic Magazine concludes:
    Nor, in the case of the Islamic State, its religious or intellectual appeal. That the Islamic State holds the imminent fulfillment of prophecy as a matter of dogma at least tells us the mettle of our opponent. It is ready to cheer its own near-obliteration, and to remain confident, even when surrounded, that it will receive divine succor if it stays true to the Prophetic model. Ideological tools may convince some potential converts that the group’s message is false, and military tools can limit its horrors. But for an organization as impervious to persuasion as the Islamic State, few measures short of these will matter, and the war may be a long one, even if it doesn’t last until the end of time.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

Is this the guy you're talking about? Because I'm not sure what you mean by green on blue attacks.

9. Happybunny, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Eek! Day of the Jackal!

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You must have missed this part:

There is probably a military solution to ISIS. But there are a whole bunch of reasons that Americans (or Brits) can't be the ones doing the actual fighting.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The fighting to the last foreigner, the last time the US tried that Saigon 1975.

I think that if you broke it you should be the one that fixes it.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just wish someone would come up with an alternative to the three options that seem to be there now, continuing doing what we are doing with airstrikes isn't working and is just wasting money and making people upset with us anytime we accidentally hit the wrong targets and get civilians, Sending in ground troops would probably work short term, but is what ISIS wants and would just get us stuck there until we pull out again and everything falls to pieces as we leave, but at the same time doing nothing seems like an equally bad option that probably will lead to problems for us in the future as well.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Americans & brits and ANYONE else involved need to GTFO of the middle east.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that both Iraq and Afghanistan, show that wars are easy to start, but a lot harder to end.

The US went IMO without any clear idea of what to do after the shooting stopped.

Nation building is far more than just pouring billions of dollars at a country.

During WWII the Allies met many times to discus how the end of the war would be.

17. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Neither. He was a foreigner, a Tajikistan native… who was trained in Blackwater's training camp in the USA. Trained as a counter-terror expert. After receiving some years of US-taxpayer-funded training… he goes back home to his Islamic-oriented nation (in Central Asia) and then decides to join ISIS so he can slaughter Americans. A major flaw in US foreign policy, methinks.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we need to cut our loses & GTFO.