US TV getting more violent and bloody than 30 years ago.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 17, 2014.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

PG-13 movies are now more violent than R-rated '80s flicks -study

I wonder how this could have happened, that murder, killing, dismemberment can be freely shown on TV, even swearing has made inroads,
    yet nudity and sex, something everyone will do or does is treated like worst sin ever, that will cause the instant destruction of America.

Politics are involved for sure, but from which direction? :confused:

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good question..

But I would venture to say that it has to do more with US culture in general, as well as common sense in our culture.

I was a bit surprised when I first settled in in Australia in the mid 90s. I was surprised, because late night TV for them started at 8:30pm, compared to our 11pm or 11:30pm, depending on where you are in the US.

This meant a number of things. Obvious is that the more family-oriented programming was over for the night, but also that for the five major free-to-air channels at that time (IIRC, were 7, 9, 10, ABC, and SBS), more adult-oriented programming could be aired. That could be anything from more of their dramas, to the Tonight Show, Letterman, etc. But for those wanting more multicultural programming, SBS showed that. This would include shows and movies from Greece, Italy, and other countries.. including some things that could be 'soft core'.

This, again, on free-to-air TV. Things that we would see on cable or one of the lower digital tiers that would be for later in the night, they would have without cable/satellite. But it was normal there, while it would be considered too much four our populace here.

That may be because we are a bit too conservative in the US, as compared to there; both culturally and politically. So where does politics fit in with this?

There's your sign.

BL.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The US is uptight about nudity and sex in general compared to many other countries.

Movies specifically though are rated by the MPAA, who represents the film industry and nobody else. It's in their financial interest to give a PG-13 rating to a borderline R movie because they want as many people eligible to buy tickets as possible. And it's easier in this twisted culture to relax the standards on violence rather than nudity.

And with network TV, you're not only dealing with that and the law, but also advertisers who may not want their 'wholesome' brand image displayed next to certain content.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's the religious based and "soccer moms" that have a huge voice towards the political and corporate. Advertising and votes are big business, and those who are a threat to those basically get their way. Even though most complaints are hypocritical.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And yet, 3 uses of the F word (or 1 in a sexual context) is an automatic R rating, even if the rest of the movie is PG - for example, Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Even if PT&A came out today and not 25 years ago, it would still get an R rating even though it has no sex and violence just because of the rental car scene. Because kids can watch bloody, gory violence, but their poor innocent ears just can't hear the F word!

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then again you had Kate Winslet naked in Titanic which was PG-13.....

Rating system seems to be inconsistent at the least.....

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So you are telling us that Americans love violence and brutality, especially Soccer moms and strong Religious groups.

But Titanic also had violence, threats of violence, entrapment with imminent drowning, death on a massive scale, guns, swearing, and of course death of the star character.
    That more than makes up for a few seconds of a topless woman. :cool:

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually yes. But like I said, they are hypocritical and pick n choose what violence is acceptable. Like Sopranos and Games of Thrones might be glorified, but god forbid a rap video has someone holding a gun.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is a good point. I'll throw in another.

Kids 7 to 12 years old using guns and literally blowing brains out on Walking Dead, versus that aforementioned rap video.

Now, I don't like rap nowadays, but the last time I saw a gun in a rap video, it was for Naughty By Nature's Hip Hop Hooray, which at the end the street thugging kids broke out into a water gun fight.

BL.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

the violence you can explain to your kids in a good guy vs bad guy context

how do you do it with sex? few weeks ago two 6 year old kids in NJ were caught in a closet acting out sex acts they probably learned at home.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But yet kids are being suspended for shaping their hand like a gun and possessing tiny plastic action figure weapons. Gotta love zero tolerance.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

it's in a few selected schools and a pretty good chance those kids were already 'issues"

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree that it's only a small amount of schools that go to this extreme, but the trend seems like it's growing. And no, these kids were not ones with issues, which wouldn't even matter.

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

...which is usually caused by some bad guy killing an innocent, so the good guy kills him back, because we all love to see the baddie get it).

Of course in the wake is huge amounts of carnage.

What do you mean "how do you do it with sex?"?

Regardless, all children act out sexual behavior (kissing usually) in their lifetime, it is part of growing process and this built in biological function increases over time.

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Like top performing schools in well-to-do neighborhoods, the person suspended or expelled being the Valedictorian.

Do a Google search, easy to find cases.
    A lot more if look for A or B students.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

young kids have no business acting out sexual acts

----------

there are thousands of schools across the USA. if a hundred of these pass these crazy rules it's still a minority. 20 years ago before google news stories like this would never have the time of day

18. barkmonster, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

They very carefully leave actual bloody violence off screen. You'll see one character attack and the aftermath but the mid part will be a shot of something in the same scene or something. They actually had to edit The Avengers to get around the death of Agent Coulson because it put into an R rating category. The Dark Knight was meant to have been a censorship nightmare to get it the certificate it had too.

TV is very close to movies too and uses similar edits, not to mention doesn't have scenes of drug use or 4 letter words unless it's well past the watershed and even then, some channels still censor content.

19. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Gotta love HBO with Game of Thrones and Girls... no censorship is ideal :D

20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, I do not know what you are talking about, "sex acts" mean different things to different people.

Have a news report?

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

in the NJ case i mentioned the kids, who are around 6 were caught in a closet, naked, and acting out sex acts

22. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

what I found:
    http://gothamist.com/2014/02/28/town_rallies_behind_nj_teacher_susp.php

Nothing happened except talking.

23. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I guess you never "played doctor" when you were a kid.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sex and nudity rarely helps a story. Love scenes are 5 wasted minutes of storytelling and my time.

Now zombies breaching the fence and eating guts and brains and being dismembered by resistance fighters...that's the good stuff.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

6 years ago, I would have thought the same thing.

Then I had a son and daughter.

Now? I'd take Curious George, Wild Kratts, Finding Your Roots, and Whose Line is it Anyway over the blood and gore anytime.

Not trying to say that blood and gore is wrong, but priorities change over time, and there is a time and place for those. That and the violence I enjoyed prior to having children isn't entertaining to me anymore..

To be honest, even some of the violence from 30 years ago isn't as much entertaining anymore. When my children get older, I may sit down with them to watch an episode or two of Knight Rider or the A-Team, but not right now.

BL.