US viewers complain over gay kiss.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ss957916, Nov 24, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Probably the wrong forum for it because it will get moved to PRSI. ;)

That being said.
    Much ado about nothing… same as the Janet Jackson nipple exposure…

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Fixed that for you, and the answer is yes.
    Dont make sweeping generalizations in your OP. Also, this will be a PRSI topic in a few minutes anyhow.

1,500 complaints != entirety of America.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- America is that backward- but actually that number is lower than I expected. Good for Lambert. It's about time we had some mainstream artists doing this kind of thing again- challenging us. Christ- Bowie was doing it in the 70's.

Way to stick to your guns, Adam. Don't let them tell you can't. It was just a kiss for god's sake.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I explained this before, when there have been complaints about my moving threads into the PRSI, and I'll do it now, since the comment conveniently preceded my action. :p

It's not that we do not allow any thread about any topic that has any political or social commentary component outside of the PRSI. A topic like this could conceivably be in the Current Events forum, and that would be fine. The expectation would be that the thread not be a debate of sociopolitical issues.

However, when the thread begins with a statement such as the one from the OP quoted above, in regards to a clearly sociopolitical issue, there is clearly no intent whatever from the beginning to have such a light conversation about a random news piece. Since there is no such intent, there is no sensible reason why this thread should not be in the PRSI.

That being said, I'm quite surprised this caused a stir. Heroes had a "lesbian" kiss in it this season, and in a character who's just about 18 at oldest (the cheerleader girl). Will & Grace had men kissing years ago. Granted this is not fiction, but reality TV... well. I'm surprised anyone cares.

But the people who watch this kind of TV are also a subsegment of the population. And besides. 1500 complaints. Seriously... you are aware that the population of the US is around 300,000,000, right?

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wonder how many complaints this little stunt at another american music awards show of some kind received:

http://upc.*************/uploads/gifs/brit_madonna_big.gif

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My complaint is that it wasn't long enough and wasn't naked enough :D

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

What's to see here but a failed American Idol performer doing bottom of the barrel grotesque and ruining the American Music Awards. Not at all surprising that this spectacle was edited for West Coast and that ABC will have to answer for its unblocked live East Coast segment... Lambert is not alone here in desperation; other American Idol performers have resorted to ugly spectacles due to their lack of real music talent...

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Did a gay kiss really bother you that much? Is anyone's life now different because they saw 2 guys kissing on TV? :rolleyes:

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I just stared at that gif for a solid minute with my head resting in my hand. I now know how it feels to be a zombie. :D

You heard it here first: Kissing: Ugly spectacle.
    Thanks for your vast insight InTheNet :rolleyes:

I think you should consult this thread.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Poor Madge's desperation is palpable.
    :eek:

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And Britney now knows what its like to kiss a zombie.

I haven't heard this Adam bloke sing before, is he any good? Or was this a shot for attention, Heroes did something similar recently. Low ratings+ gay kiss= some attention.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yeah, but Britney was smokin' hot in that performance. Now a days? Not so much...
    Madonna looked pretty good as well, but now a days? Not so much...but its all the enhancements. Shes probably dead now anyways, so you assessment is correct. :p
    Mmmm desperation of celebrities never looked better in gif format...:D

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This is the sort of attitude that makes me think it didn't receive many complaints. Straight men are likely to have reactions like yours to two women kissing. Straight women probably don't care as much and I doubt anyone who is gay is going to care or complain.
    However, when it's two men kissing I would bet that it's (certain sorts of) straight men who somehow seem to get all freaked out by two men kissing that do the bulk of the complaining. I think it's a bit sad really. I don't understand what the big threat is with seeing two people of the same gender kissing. Moral outrage aside, it's just a publicity stunt. Let it go.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed. And if you don't like it, change the bloody channel. I don't know why that's such a hard concept for people to grasp. People with cable and satellite have eleven gazillion channels, there's bound to be something more appealing to their closed mind.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You cant unsee the horror of a gay man kiss!

Yeah, that would would make sense to a logical person, but to most...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What do you expect from a country originally colonized by Puritans? We collectively have issues with overt sexuality in all forms. But damn, we love a good, bloody shoot-em-up!

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2 dudes kissed!?!?!

...on television!?!?!?

:eek: this is truly shock and awe.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Your avatar made me think of something. Sunday's Top Gear could never air over here because people would make a big deal over a crudely drawn penis on someone's cheek.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

It kinda looked like a fat shark to me...

22. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I agree. Nobody wants to see two dudes kissing.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's a great shame, because it was bloody funny :D

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Except for, you know, gay guys...