US witholds 800 million in aid from Pakistan.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Saw an article stating that the US is now withholding 800 million in aid to Pakistan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...aid-to-pakistan-white-house-s-daley-says.html

Okay we are supposedly in some budget crisis and we are just now withholding nearly a billion from going to Pakistan? Why did we have to wait until we found they were harboring our number 1 terrorist to do so?

I think we found an area we can make cuts until we get our fiscal house in order: foreign aid.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is not what most countries would call "foreign aid": it is military aid.

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Regardless it's the equivalent to letting your unemployed pals borrow money while you are living on credit cards. Time for the friends to get their own job.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it's nothing to do with that, it's more like paying the wages of a proxy army.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no one wants to cut the military budget, yet that is where there is a massive amount of waste. its asinine.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Of course cutting foreign aid wouldn't do a lot as it makes up 1% of the budget. That said I'm all for cutting foreign military aid, we don't need to be spending so much money on the Pakistani, Israeli, and whatever other armies we are supporting, but it would be a bad idea to cut other types of aid as that is what makes some of the people in other countries like us. If we really want to protect ourselves from terrorists we would take a large amount of the pentagon's budget and redirect it to real foreign aid especially focusing on education and fighting disease.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its just a start, The U.S. govt has a a habit like a addict on drugs throwing away $$$ everywhere it can endlessly. There are still Billions missing in Iraq from Bush/Cheney and he was never held accountable by congress. Its only a start. Obama is trying but the republicans are blocking everything and acting like little children. I hope people are really watching the republicans and not just us Macheads.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

US witholds 800 million in aid from Pakistan.

Pakistan witholds Osama bin Laden from US.

Looks like we're square.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Here's my question: How do we even give aid when we owe so much money? If I'm broke and my credit cards are maxed out and my checking account is empty, I can't give someone money if I wanted to? How does our government do this?

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Print money and/or borrow even more from China, but put a sexy name on it - something like "quantitative easing."

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They do it because their credit cards aren't maxed out yet, and it's cheaper to provide foreign aid to keep countries stable than to go and fight wars over there because a country collapsed and threatens American interests. Honestly though, our debt problem is only partly because we spend so much, it's mostly because we refuse to raise taxes to pay for our spending.

12. codymac macrumors 6502

Seems more like witholding payment of wages to a proxy army once it's realized that they've been fighting for the other side.

I'm OK with that.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And when the CEOs of the defense contractors get off the phone to Obama, the $800 million will be paid. After all, most of it ends up on the balance sheets of defense contractors.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pakistan has nukes, Pakistan has been falling apart for years now. That isn't a good equation for stability, more worrying is who takes control after stability.

Why did Ronnie give a wink and a nod (as well as aid in development) while Pakistan built its nukes? :confused: Did we think of Pakistan as a low key counter to the USSR in the Middle East or something?

15. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

This trend of aid, involvement, and interest in Geopolitics (that are often better left well enough alone) began decades ago, but was made official (at least publicly) by Kennedy. It set the stage for US (over)involvement in Vietnam.

Anyway, enough with the parentheses and on with the show.

Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.*

This much we pledge—and more.

*Not a great idea in practice.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably it was as a counter to the soviets. We supported anyone who was against them and now it's coming back to hurt us.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Pakistan is a difficult foreign policy question, as they have nuclear weapons facilities that have traditionally been poorly secured, and we have paid for extra security for some time now. So, as tempting as it is to say we should hold money back, it's good to be aware of where a good portion of this money goes.

18. 184550 Guest

The article I read on the NYT stated some/ part of the aid was already rejected by Pakistan because they didn't want to let our advisors/ trainers come in and train them on how to use the equipment.

19. codymac macrumors 6502

Bullets, but no guns. China, having supplied most of Pakistan's technology, has been very mindful to not supply anything with extended range and capable of reaching China's own population centers.

About $100m per year, according to the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/washington/18nuke.html?ref=us

It's also very likely in violation of the NPT (as is some of China's assistance).