USA/Gallup Poll - McCain Gaining on Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-07-28-poll_N.htm?csp=34
    Interesting movement in "Views on candidates" and a sizable disparity still evident in "Can they handle the job?".

~ CB

Attached Files:

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'll be well and truly gutted if Obama doesn't win. I'll be even more gutted if McCain is president. That'll be a disaster.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not in the US obviously, but from what I see, hear and read, I'm really quite surprised by those :confused:

4. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Polls seem to be more and more worthless. Every one saying something different. Even the so called "poll of polls" give you different stories, although, currently, most of the big ones have Obama leading.

CNN
    Real Clear Politics
    Pollster.com

Plus, it should be pointed out that McCain only leads in the USA/Gallup Poll and that this is the first lead hes shown in a poll since the May 22-27 Gallup poll, if I'm not mistaken.

So take all this analysis with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Oh, and heres an article from the admittedly left wing Huffington Post on the gallup poll you quote.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That McCain is even close is frightening. Obama needs to stop moving to the right like he has been lately. I knew this was coming after his FISA vote. You can bet that has a lot to do with recent polling. Get ready for another 2000 election. If it's this close, it'll be stolen again.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Part of the problem is that he's been on his foreign tour while everyone at home is concerned about the economy and gas prices. So while the foreign tour was necessary to show that he can and will be able to deal with foreign leaders and handle it well, it also hurts him in the short term here at home as most voters are concerned with more domestic issues. I suspect that the polls will swing back in the next couple weeks as his focus turns back to domestic issues.

It will be truly interesting to see what happens when they actually face off in debates. Obama has had a lot more practice with the one on one debates than McCain has and I think seeing the two of them together and hearing them speak that close to one another will finally cement things, of course I thought the same thing watching Kerry debate Bush and finding out that being president was "hard work" so I suspect the polls will shift but as we've said many times, polls are almost completely worthless at predicting a winner if it shows that they are anywhere close.

7. Queso macrumors G4

How is it possible that people think McCain will be better at foreign relations but weaker in Iraq and tackling "terror"*. Can the American people really not see how those things actually go together? :confused:

* a joke word these days thanks to BushCo.'s heavy overuse.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Don't worry, McCain won't win. He's running a terrible campaign.

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Yup.
    But he HASN'T been "moving" to the right. He's been "talking" to the right, after a huge effort by conservative pundits to paint him as Super-Liberal". It wasn't helped by his vote, but that was a longtime in coming. Not ENOUGH was done to the bill to change it, this is different than saying NOTHING was done. At the end of the day it will REMAIN a national security issue... and simply choosing to abstain from voting (like McCain), would have looked idiotic.
    Yup. McCain's going to win. Not because Obama is "moving to the right", but because certain voters got "spooked" when they realized their candidate had more centrist views than they'd been led to believe... and MOSTLY... mostly, because many voters will feel that because of Obama's race (ie: not theirs), he is less likely to vote in their interests (this will be overt, but in many cases will take the form of arguments on "patriotism" and religious descrimination and misconceptions). McCain is on the verge of pushing that button around the delightful issue of affirmative-action. I say he's "testing" the waters now, and will be mashing it full-force come October.

People tend like a pretty perfect picture simply so that can eventually throw buckets of dirt on it (instead of acknowledging the imperfect nature of the picture in the first place). Weird but true. We're a twisted species.
    I'll still view Obama in the same dry-eyed way, but for the most part his support will implode due to issues that have little to do with his competence or candor. The ONLY thing that can save Obama from the Republican Attack Machine, is a tremendous and highly public GAFF by McCain exposing blatant foolishness about 3-4 weeks from November. This isn't likely though.

~ CB

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

He really is. Why are we seeing him buying sausages in a supermarket and all the tins going everywhere...

Just strange stuff like that is mind boggling.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Voters are beginning to figure out the whole deal with the loss of buying power of the dollar and the ethanol charade. They're coming to realize that Obama's ideas will only make things worse. That's the Joe Sixpack bar talk and cafe commentary I'm hearing in my travels.

Two questions that are making people think: "If you increase the cost of a company's doing business, will it be more productive?" Folks shake their heads, "No." Then, "If you raise taxes on Exxon, will they lower their prices and pump more oil?" Head shake, "No."

Older people with paid-for houses, farms, ranches and businesses don't see any help in the idea of increasing the Capital Gains tax. Or in increasing the Death Tax.

So, when it comes to personal billfolds and the daily cost of living, Obama is a loser.

His running like a scared jackrabbit from Katie Couric's questions about The Surge didn't help him a lot, either. The lad should never have shot off his mouth on subjects about which he knows nothing.

Fun times...

'Rat

12. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I think what you guys are forgetting is that the election is already over. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Map.JPG
      Map.JPG
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
  13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If all someone reads or hears about US politics comes from the PRSI, they will get a very warped idea of what America thinks :) It is easy for some to caught up in the hype and rhetoric around here.

I know that isn't the case for you E, but I'm just sayin'

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Did you see that thing on the daily show about the medical records?

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm sure I'd remember it if I saw it again.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Above everything else I don't like about him, he really is an old fart. If he gets in and stays the same length as bush he'll be rocking on 80 years of age before he leaves office.

71 is quite old to be seeking office, in my opinion.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, this country is way more demented than the PSRI forums would suggest. ;)

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Lee,

Look at what the poll actually targeted, The poll, taken Friday through Sunday, showed a surge since last month in likely Republican voters and suggested Obama's trip may have helped energize voters who favor McCain.

In other words, this is NOT a poll of the general voting population. It is targeting a small group of voters, who were wavering about supporting McCain, even though they were already within the group he should be doing well in. The fact he is still behind in this group is not a good sign for him.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, they might actually think we're sane.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. What the heck? I guess the rest of the world gets "different" news than Americans, because from what I can tell, it's Obama Obama Obama, not McCain. I can't even see how he could be close. With all the news on the Obama-nator, I thought he'd have a massive lead......more than 6 points, and definitely more than 3 points.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A lot of the press is negative though. And Obama has done some stupid s***, like FISA. There are also a lot of dumb, redneck, racist a**holes in this country too.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

some commentary from www.fivethirtyeight.com about this poll puts it a bit more into perspective.

Basically, one should always be cautious about polling methodology