USA to facebook founder: "and don't come back..."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 17, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What do you guys think about this:

"Senate Democrats on Thursday unveiled the Ex-Patriot Act (Expatriation Prevention by Abolishing Tax-Related Incentives for Offshore Tenancy,) a bill to punish Americans who renounce their citizenship for tax purposes. The move was a reaction specifically to Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin, who last fall withdrew his citizenship in advance of the company's multibillion-dollar initial public offering, set to take place Friday."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...ardo-saverin-could-banned-ever-155120715.html

This guy's family was granted asylum in the USA and now, when a big tax bill comes due, he splits? Ungrateful to say the least....

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Give it 20 years and no one is going to want to go to the US anyways. ;)

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

He sounds just like some people here, when another person brings up anything but sheer happiness with their Apple device.

If they are so bold (read stupid) to say they are thinking of switching to something other than Apple... all hell breaks loose. LOL

Personally I don't give a flip, it's only one person's opinion :D

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What an idiot. I hope this law passes.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The guy is filthy rich and living the good life in Singapore, something tells me he isn't too worried about the criticism.

When I was at the Laos/Thai border a few years ago I met a guy from Texas who was living in Singapore. He was counting down the days until he could stop paying taxes in the US and enjoy the good life in Singapore.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I say good for him. The notion that a country should be able to tax its citizens no matter where they are or how long they have been away simply due to a passport is ridiculous.

A girl at my work just started earning over the threshold that would make her liable to pay somes taxes to the US. She only has a US passport for birth/parent reasons and has only been to the US on holiday twice each time for a week or two. So she's renouncing her citizenship!

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The Overlord isn't going to be happy with this... :mad:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Does that make her an ex-patriot?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm there now, although emigrating was never an option in my mind. :p

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Considering the US accepts more immigrants than the rest of the world combined; and that doesn't count illegal immigration, I'm forced to believe that's not going to happen any time soon.

But sure, you're the enlightened one who judges and stereotypes 300 million people. :rolleyes:

13. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I don't see how that means anything.

14. Kauai macrumors 6502a

You don't think the largest inflow of immigrants on earth suddenly reversing in a mere 20 year span would be quite a radical and unlikely shift?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Where does that statistic come from?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Lies, damned lies and the Internet...

A Google search for "US accepts more immigrants than the rest of the world combined" returns about 1,970,000 results, which of course in itself proves very little...

Oddly enough, after checking out several of the results, I couldn't find any that provided a data source to back up this claim... :eek:

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yea man, let's get angry over $67 million in lost taxes due to some guy leaving the US for personal reasons while the government continues to piss billions of tax payer dollars year after year.

Ex-post facto. I guess we don't care about the constitution anymore. I see: it's not really intended to pass or clear constitutional scrutiny. It's intended to get people emotional and for Schumer to go out chest-thumping in front of the cameras.

Knowing you'll be groped by the TSA, why would anyone travel here??

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, Severin is using his wealth and privilege to avoid a tax bill that he should pay since this new wealth is generated because of the powerful protections and freedoms created by the United States. His family came here with a grant of asylum.

That said...

I think you're right about this.

You enjoy that kind of thing.

On the number of immigrants, a quick look at US Census data shows 16 million naturalized citizens and 21 million "not a US citizen." Around 13 million entered between 2000-2010, and 10 million between 1990-2000.

Based on the UN's World Population Policies (2009): the US ranks highest in the number of immigrants, but somewhere in the middle when adjusted to population. For example: 12.5 percent of the US population is foreign born, the United Kingdom's about 10.5, but nearly 30 percent of Saudi Arabia's population is foreign born.

20. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Can't we get angry over more than one thing?

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

According to Wikipedia, the immigration population in the US is greater than the total immigration population of the next 4 leading nations combined, but only ~21% of total global immigration. I don't know if that includes illegal immigration or not, nor could I find (good) inflow statistics.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

As I understand it, he didn't "split" - he already was living in Singapore.

The IRS taxes all of its citizens, regardless of where they live or earn their income. They also require citizens who haven't set foot on U.S. soil in decades to annually report their assets and income, as well as those of their spouse, regardless of the spouse's citizenship. So it's fair to say that he's quite possibly renouncing his citizenship for more reasons than simply avoiding taxes.

I think it's BS that any jurisdiction would require you to report your income and tax you on it when you neither live nor work there.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's easier to accept, if you remember that they think they own your ass, from cradle to grave.

24. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

So whatever massive amount the law says you owe in taxes, is exactly the moral obligation of the taxpayer? What an amazing coincidence!

Or maybe people want to minimize their tax burden. Gee, I wonder if anyone else has ever done that before?

25. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Does anyone know how much he has already paid in taxes to the US?

The old argument: "They don't need more money, they already have enough!" works both ways.