USA to UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by houghton19, Sep 6, 2013.

1. houghton19 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Im not expecting a massive ammount of help here because its maybe not ethically correct, but it seems that buying a second hand Iphone in the uk is a no go, Im trying to get one for my daughter as a bday pressent (shes only 9 so dont want to spend loads on a brand new one) but after nearly buying 2 iphones that are blocked, and reading all the horror stories of people buying a phone that then a month later "stops workin" obviously insurance jobs after money clears ect, Im looking for a way to safeguard myself......

so if i was to buy a iphone from outside the uk, if the same was to happen and a IMEI block is put on a phone after i buy it then im not loosing out???

also my other question is, if i bought a CDMA (version & sprint) could i use a GSM sim card it it if it was to become blocked, or just best sticking to a AT&T / T-Mobile us GSM device?

thanks in advance

T

2. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I'm in the UK and have sold all of my old iPhones via eBay UK.

If you buy from someone with many positive ratings, there's a decent chance you should be ok.

If you do decide to buy a US model instead, you will need the GSM variant.

3. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I'm also in the UK and bought a second hand 3GS for my dad though eBay. The phone has been updated to iOS 6 since and is still going strong. Use PayPal and you should be fine. I'm sure they have clauses to cover this.

4. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Same here, I've sold quite a few via eBay (and via some forums that all trading). Always been my old phone or an unwanted upgrade (one of my iPhone 5's).

OP, have you considered the classifieds at AVForums? They have pretty high requirements from sellers and the scammers wouldn't last long there.

5. houghton19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the advice guys, pity cos i found a cheap one but its CMDA, would that CMDA onr work if you put one of the Gimie sim things or is it just stricktly GSM?

Thanks.

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

You said you don't want to pay a lot and I understand that given your daughter's age, but the only model of iPhone that I've read offers both CDMA and GSM is a particular model of the iPhone 5.

Don't quote me on that though, better if it's confirmed by another US resident (and it may be beyond what you're looking to spend in this case anyway).

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

CDMA phones won't connect to UK networks at all.

----------

4S was both CDMA/GSM, but not really sure why that's relevant? I may have missed something, but it just sounds like the OP found a CDMA phone on the cheap (I presume iP4).

8. houghton19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys, in essance, yeah im watching a few phones, one is nearly brand new, $100 with no bids, but its CMDA! thanks.

9. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

CDMA phones have no SIM card slot. Here in the uk we only have gsm networks anyway.

A gsm phone will work but if its an iphone 5 it will never work on 4g as the us model uses different bands.

10. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

Do not ever buy CDMA phones if you plan travelling or moving with it to another countries. GSM is much more compatible ...

11. abz1981 macrumors 65816

To the OP will your daughter be using the calling features etc outside the house? Because you could possibly consider an ipod touch, pretty decent prices on them, and can communicate through imessage/viber etc on wifi?