USA users. Can you use your iphone anywhere in the states without extra fees?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbs, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Barbs macrumors regular

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes. I've never been charged for roaming with my iPhone.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Pretty sure all of At&t's plans are national.

4. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yup it's true. You'll be fine here in the U.S.
    I live in NH and my phone has been in MA and RI with no problem with any extra fees.
    You're safe. :)

5. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

While you can use an iPhone anywhere in the country, you can only own one where there's home ATT service.

Click on this ATT Coverage Viewer

Then choose "GoPhone" above the map for the coverage type.

Anywhere that's shown in pink is where residents cannot own an iPhone, because they'd be roaming more than 50% of the time.

That's a lot of people who have to choose a different smartphone, simply because Apple bent over to ATT's exclusivity demand.

7. djjclark macrumors regular

If you move to a non AT&T area you may be denied eventually. You can only roam for so long.

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I dont think there is any "may" about it. Wife is and has been in Wyoming for a number of months. No direct ATT network, only roaming partners. Got a letter a few weeks ago that said unless she got back into ATT coverage area there would be a roaming restriction put on the phone, and phone would only work in ATT network areas.

Long story short, had to cancel our ATT service and we are with Verizon now because we have to have mobile to mobile. Sadly, VZ's phones suck. I got a Voyager, the sales rep said "its just like the iPhone." Ya, and a Chevette is just like a Corvette. Waiting til the Blackberry Storm comes out and exchanging this POS Voyager for that.

9. robertatwb macrumors member

robertatwb

HA!!

10. thebez macrumors regular

You are either completely wrong, or you used really bad grammar to say what you wanted to.

"Home" service has nothing to do with it. I live in an area where people get thier home service from Verizon. I purchased my iPhone from the at&t store right down the street from my house. I am in an area where my wireless signal comes from at&t's own towers, if that is what you meant.

11. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I was assuming they meant that you can only get an iPhone (or other at&t wireless phone) where at&t has it's OWN wireless service (vrs. a roaming partner).

Although your phone will work in Wyoming, you can not purchase an at&t wireless phone if you live in Wyoming.

The internet is full of wonderful grammar.

12. RedGreen macrumors newbie

Is it just the continental US? I'll be traveling to Hawaii soon, is there anything I should be worried about?

Thanks for the info.

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Nothing to worry about no matter how long you stay in Hawaii. At&t owns it's own network in Hawaii, so no roaming difficulties if your there for a few months or more.

Also-If you are in a roaming area, there is nothing to worry about unless your stay is for more than a couple of months. It's only then that at&t gets cranky about you spending more time using a roaming partner rather then their own network.

14. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

From at&t.com

OFF-NET USAGE
    If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks ("off-net usage") during any two consecutive months exceed your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may, at its option terminate your service, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan. AT&T will provide notice that it intends to take any of the above actions, and you may terminate the agreement.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Context, man, context. :)

In cell phone discussions, home service always refers to a carrier's own tower coverage.

Especially when given a map link showing ATT-specific cell tower coverage (NOT landline coverage) and the post goes on to talk about roaming outside of those areas.

16. daisuke07 macrumors regular

do you have to pay for roaming even though theyre partnered with att? and how do you know if you are roaming? does the att symbol change or what

17. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

You can also roam to the U.S. Virgin Islands without any extra fees. Just did that when we were on a cruise through the Caribbean and stopped in St. Thomas.

18. slashjunior macrumors regular

What happens if you live near the border with say Mexico or Canada? Isn't there a chance of the phone hopping on to a Canadian or Mexican carrier and getting charged higher rates? I am guessing you just choose AT&T manually in the Carrier Settings rather than choosing Automatic? Also, do you get charged roaming rates in Alaska?

19. djjclark macrumors regular

In Alaska pretty much where there is a city AT&T has coverage and I had no additional charges for using data or cell minutes on a recent cruise in the SE area.

20. jlwillia macrumors regular

How well does the iphone work in Wyoming? I thought it was a CDMA only state? I'm contemplating getting ATT so I can switch to an iphone, but am concerned I wouldn't be able to use my phone when I go to these rural states for a week or two at a time. Would this be a problem? I know it says "partner" network on ATT coverage map, but if there are only CDMA providers, wouldn't my phone be useless?

21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

My wife is in Casper. No problems whatsoever. She had a 1st gen iPhone, did get Edge, not just GPRS. No idea if they have any 3G out there. Cheyenne does have ATT network, not just roaming.

Just like anything though, you get out in the middle of nowhere and you wont have service. Stick close to the interstates and you should be fine.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I grew up in Florida, was on a family plan, had a local 954 number, then moved to New York for college. I now use my same iPhone in New York 100% of the time even though I still have a 954 number and the billing address is still in Florida. No extra charges.

23. FreshAudi macrumors newbie

I've got 2 3G phones in Cheyenne. Been on the phone alot with AT&T about other issues and they never once said "you cant have that phone in Cheyenne because we don't offer coverage there." -- they only run on EDGE in Cheyenne but 3G works in Ft Collins or Denver.