USA's first transgender mayor elected

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Although most of the attention about the election has focussed on Obama's win and the fallout over Prop 8 in California, up in Oregon the town of Silverton (pop. 9588) has just elected the USA's first transgender mayor. Stu Rasmussen has already served twice as mayor of the town, although that was before his coming out. Running on a platform of "preserving the community" Rasmussen, 60, defeated incumbent Ken Hector by 1988 votes to 1512.

Associated Press

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I did hear about this, and it's great!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK. I must admit to not being fully au fait with the entire queer continuum. That's why the transgender term, to my way of thinking, is currently ill-defined... and I'm not sure who it serves, embraces and encompasses. Guess I'm a bit old-fashioned. :eek:

To quote Devilot:

:shrug:

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah I get that BV. However, the fact that the voters of a rural small town can accept Stu Rasmussen, who is IMO only part of the way through whatever journey he's personally walking, makes me believe in just how much the world is changing its attitudes towards everyone that is untraditional regarding sexuality, gender identity etc. It gives hope that one day all of this won't matter in the slightest, and that everyone will just be accepted for who they are.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, that sounded a bit snotty. :D

Good to see a community recognising diversity. Good to see progress made. :)

I am a purity troll.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Purity of word meaning, correct? ;)

Well, good on him (apparently his choice of pronoun) and them (the people of Silverton).

7. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

You don't say :D

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm very pleasantly surprised by this news. :)

I wonder, how long do we wait until the first major city mayor, governor, president?

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm often the first to take the piss out of my ridiculously overcompensating hubris. :D

But there is actually a serious issue at stake which I won't get into here. It's complex.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does this count?

[​IMG]

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just as long as this transgender doesn't infringe on my personal rights by forcing my kids in public school to learn that being transgender is normal aasdlfasdfachristiansdfasdhomeschoolfasdincest.d.d.df......f:mad::mad: argh *aneurysm*

Seriously though that's cool. Well done Stu :).

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

When are you running for office?

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:D

Ok then, how about governor? :p

14. TSE macrumors 68030

You know none of his policies. How is that great? It's not bad either, but without knowing his policies you cannot determine squat.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...that a town was able to overlook something that is quite controversial and misunderstood, and vote for the person based on that person's merits is in my mind quite remarkable and great.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That was kind of my feeling.

Yay for tolerance, but what does this guy believe in? Am I actually glad they elected the first TG mayor in America?

It's kind of like saying "yay, the second woman nominated to be vice president!". Not knowing Palin's views, many people would applaud such a pick. Of course, once you get to know her, you realize she's a step back rather than forward, dontcha know...

17. TSE macrumors 68030

I laugh at white male liberals that think that anything besides white, male, christians are good, no matter what. They need to look in the mirror.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's an awful lot of presupposition coming from someone who has yet to even cast a real ballot. ;)

I'm glad when anyone breaks a glass ceiling. It isn't an achievement of their politics, but rather an achievement for the society that helped break that glass ceiling. So when someone says, "good for her(him)" we're really saying, "good for the people who elected her(him)."

And for the record, this is coming from a non-white gay male. ;)

19. noaccess macrumors 6502

I think this is one of those [New Milestone Achieved] threads where the mayor's position on the issues is irrelevant, the purpose of the OP was probably just getting the news out.

So, from a social standpoint, this is great news. To many of us on this forum, at least.

If you want to discuss his policies, post a link yourself, if you think it shouldn't go unnoticed.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe you should post a link to his policies, if you find them so offensive. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

And who here said anything about what you just said?

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why do you reserve you laugh for only white male liberals that think this? Are black female republicans with ridiculous stereotypes of white male christians immune to your patronising laughter?

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because the rest are scarier. White male liberals are girlymen.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I seriously love this term :).