USB-based install of Windows 7 on 2012 MBA - Choice of USB seems to be sensitive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kylera, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Title says all. I've spent about an hour trying to figure out how to install Windows 7 on my 2012 MBA with USB (this is after making a post about why people have issues with BC...now I see why :rolleyes:) and after a brief search, someone said that the BRAND of USB used to make the boot disc from the ISO matters. I can definitely confirm that.

I made the bootable USB through Boot Camp Assistant -- apparently there's a new option that allows you to make the USB from OS X.

I first tried with a USB 3.0 Sony MicroVault Mach 16GB stick, but I kept on getting the non-bootable message.

I then switched to a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB stick, and that did bloody wonders.

If there's anyone having issues with trying to make a bootable USB for installing Windows 7, try a different USB disc.

2. mabaty macrumors member

Windows won't install via USB 3 even on PC's. Not sure with ivy bridge though since its native now.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Definitely didn't work with the 2012 Air as it is IB.

4. eeclipse16 macrumors member

I don't have the air but I just used a 8GB HP and a 8GB corsair with no problems on a 2012 rMBP as seen in this video www.YouTube.com/diyallday

5. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I just used a Lexor 8GB USB3 Jumpdrive (even if it is still pretty slow) and installed Windows 7 on my 2012 Macbook Air and it worked ok?

6. mabaty macrumors member

That's great, it is Ivy Bridge, so it may work now, I just know on PC's that are using the old NEC USB3 chip, if you put your thumb drive in the USB3 port it wont recognize it. I wasn't sure if Mac's were similar.