Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

USB-C vs USB-A connection for external video streaming/webcam usage?

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
I have a MacBook Pro 16" and a Sony A7M3 camera.

When I set the USB Connection for my Sony camera to PC Remote, I can remotely use my Sony camera as a webcam/video source on my MacBook Pro. I have this working using two different methods:
  • USB-C (Sony) to USB-A (HyperDrive USB-C Hub, connected to the MBP)
  • Apple USB-C to USB-C (connecting the Sony directly to the MBP)
The HyperDrive documentation says the USB-A port has a transfer speed of 5Gpbs, and it's my understanding a direct USB-C connection is 10Gpbs.

I am not concerned about using this particular connection for transferring pictures/video files from the memory card in the camera.

My question has to do with using the Sony camera as a webcam/video source. I plan on using CamTwist for Zoom video calls and YouTube streaming. Is the USB-C from the Sony connected to the USB-A on the hub sufficient enough for a good webcam/video source for streaming video?

Or will I really see a difference by using a USB-C to USB-C direct connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mj_

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
First of all, the (encoded) video stream is not going to be anywhere near 5 Gbps. A few Mbps maybe but that's it. A standard 4K video stream averages between 15-25 Mbps, aka 0.015-0.025 Gbps or between 0.3% and 0.5% of a 5 Gbps USB-A connection.

Second, let's assume for a second that the video stream is more than 5 Gbps. How are you expecting to live stream that massive amount of data? Do you have a symmetrical 10 Gbps internet connection? If so I need to know where you live, because I will be moving right next door first thing tomorrow morning :p

Reactions: beansbaxter

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
First of all, the (encoded) video stream is not going to be anywhere near 5 Gbps. A few Mbps maybe but that's it. A standard 4K video stream averages between 15-25 Mbps, aka 0.015-0.025 Gbps or between 0.3% and 0.5% of a 5 Gbps USB-A connection.

Second, let's assume for a second that the video stream is more than 5 Gbps. How are you expecting to live stream that massive amount of data? Do you have a symmetrical 10 Gbps internet connection? If so I need to know where you live, because I will be moving right next door first thing tomorrow morning :p
Thanks for the insight. This has been confirmed in my testing, as the average Internet connection comes nowhere close to being able to take advantage of the faster throughput.

USB-C on the camera to USB-A works more than good enough.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.