USB Hub??

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Pro of hub: You can put it where you want, in easy reach of plugs.
Con of hub: It's just one extra thing sitting on your desk.

Pro of card: It's out of the way, it's attached to your computer.
Con of card: The plugs aren't as easily reachable.

All-in-all, I'd go with the card. I value my desk's real estate and like having as much stuff integrated into my computer as possible. (The days of externals are numbered in my opinion!)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'd say if anything, the card would probably be faster, since it's tapped directly into one of the PCI slots, as opposed to a hub which hooks into one of the computer's USB ports only to travel even farther until it reaches the hub.

Another pro of a card: it doesn't use up one of your existing USB ports.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you are going to be plugging/unplugging devices a lot I'd get a hub so you wouldn't have to get behind yer Mac each time to get to the ports.

Lethal

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
if you get a hub you should get one with a power supply -- i had a hub w/out one a while ago and it was a real pain because a lotta my devices wouldnt work with it cause they took up so much power.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
One alternative is to get an Apple monitor or another brand that has the USB hub built in, this way its sort of the best of both worlds. I have an older 21" CRT Apple monitor with the 4 port USP hub integrated and it works wonderfully well, no extra desktop clutter and the cables are easy to reach. And even though the new LCDs only offer 2 extra ports, its still a good solution.