Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Deom my limited knowledge of garageband yes that will work. And yes you will need a cable to hook up the keyboard to it.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: USB-Midi interface

Originally posted by NatronB
It has a serial out port...<snip>

really??? that's weird. are you sure it's not a MIDI out? if it is serial, you will need an additional converter to go to MIDI.

peace.

Redboy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
I think the Alesis or the Roland keyboards had serial outs for a while.

You want to make sure that whatever keyboard you have has a midi out port. Otherwise, it won't work with this midi box. It's a good price, I remember when you couldn't get one for under $80. I also remember when I had a mac with no serial port and there were no USB/midi boxes for the mac for around a year and a half or so. That was infuriating.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by Redboy
I think the Alesis or the Roland keyboards had serial outs for a while.

true, true. i forgot the PCs had serial/MIDI ports. i actually had a keyboard with serial out (when i had a PC)...wow, that was a long while ago.

peace.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Nate - what's your keyboard? Many had direct serial connections and MIDI, but if you do need a serial connection, you can try a USB -> serial converter, like the ones made by Keyspan. Do some checking to be sure that it works, some serial devices have problems with the adapters.

cpjakes

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Serial/ MIDI out?

Oh christ, ummm... perhaps I'm dead wrong.

First off, I believe the keyboard is a casio (I'm at work now). It's pretty old (mid-late 80s), the port itself is labelled "Midi out" it looks like a big ole round ADB port from back in the day.

-Nate

PS- is there such thing as a RCA-> midi converter?

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: Serial/ MIDI out?

Oh christ, ummm... perhaps I'm dead wrong.

-Nate

PS- is there such thing as a RCA-> midi converter?

yeah, that's a MIDI port... and no, you can't convert analog audio to MIDI.

peace.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
how 'bout this.....

Let's say, hypothetically, a friend of mine wants to use a turntable with a mac.... how would I he do that? Through the microphone port?

Thanks!

-N

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: how 'bout this.....

Let's say, hypothetically, a friend of mine wants to use a turntable with a mac.... how would I he do that? Through the microphone port?

Thanks!

-N

go from the RCAs to the 1/8" line in on the mac (converter/splitter cable needed). if your not using a pre-amp the signal will be weak.

good luck.

peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.