USB ports and bluetooth no longer working in os X but ok in bootcamp with XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catdog02481, Nov 9, 2008.

1. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Hi,

I need some help with this problem. Since installing Spyder 3 pro a week ago, my 2.33 C2D macbook pro has stopped recognizing its internal bluetooth module (i have lost bluetooth, says not available in about my mac) and also my 2 usb ports do not recognize anything plugged into them.

I went ahead and installed bootcamp and win XP and in that environment with the apple-supplied drivers, i have full usb and bluetooth funtionality so i know it's not a hardware issue.

I have already reset nvram with staring up in cmd-option-p-r and also reset the PMU by holding the power button until the power light flashes rapidly etc.

I have also completely reinstalled OS X10.5 leopard from scratch without remedy and i am now at the end of my wits...is there a way that the efi or firmware is messed up so that the laptop thinks it does not have bluetooth and usb? Is there a way to reset the firmware or am i barking up the wrong tree? I also tried installing the 10.5.5 combo update and that also did not help.

Thanks for any suggestions, this one is a tough one. I know the hardware is ok since it works in bootcamp/XP and i no longer have warranrty on the unit. Thanks

2. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

3. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

Help needed from technical Gurus out there...

So,

I have reinstalled Leopard 10.5 after wiping the hard drive and again same story, the USB and bluetooth simply are not seen and do not work plain and simple. When i plug in a usb device it flashes for a second and that's it... So i opened up the machine and inspected all wires and connectors to no avail. So once again i installed bootcamp with XP and lo and behold every usb port and bluetooth are recognized and work flawlessly!

I don't want to use my mac as a windows only machine so what gives. I have already done the pram flash and nv reset and removed the battery and waited for days and nothing has worked.

I have a feeling something in the EFI is messed up when it starts in OS X but not in bootcamp.

Still hoping one of you wizards out there comes up with a solution. Thanks

4. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

Found a temporary solution

Hi,
    I am flabbergasted that no one has been able to make any useful comment on this topic...
    I tried to reset the EFI by removing one of the 2 2GB ram from one of the slots then resetting the prom using opt-cmd-p-r on startup 3 time in a row and that did not change anything.
    I then was able to find a usb dev resource on apple.com and downloaded the file iousbfamily327.4.0log.dmg which installed new usb kext and usb prober and that did not make a difference. That is none of the USB ports were functioning still, until I started the application USB prober and magically the usb ports started working and so did bluetooth.
    I logged out and back in and still verything worked even when i quit the app USB prober. However, after a restart, i went back to square 1 where none of the usb ports would show up again.
    Tried USB prober again and everything works...until the next restart.
    Does any one have any clue what is going on? This all started after I plugged in Spyder 3 during installation....
    Thanks