USB Ports fried on my laptop, need to get stuff off, do adapters exist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sportsfrk214, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I figured this forum would cover it.

I have a Dell laptop, going on about 4 years old. I've had some problems with it recently and I decided I was going to buy a USB based external hard drive in order to back up all my files, so that I would be prepared if my hard drive ever crashes.

Well literally days before I was planning on buying it, my two USB ports on my laptop broke. They just stopped working. I've searched online endlessly for fixes, but haven't been able to find anything. They just won't work. Now the options exists for me to transfer all my files to another computer using CD's, and then hook up the external hard drive to that computer, but with over 20 gigs of content on my laptop, that could take a long time.

So I'm wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on what I can do. My laptop does have a 4 pin FireWire port. Do they make adapters that will plug into a FireWire port, and then you can plug a USB cable into the other end of the adapter? If not, maybe someone can help me out and give me some other options. Thanks

2. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

3. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah that's easy enough, except the hard drive I was gonna get was not only rated very high, but was a great price. I suppose I could get a FireWire one though if I had to.

4. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Firewire one are generally better and faster. I would look at Lacie, mind have been good.

5. jk111 macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend lacie hard drives. I have had no problems with mine. http://lacie.com

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Transfer the files over the ethernet or firewire port via networking.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ethernet, wifi, firewire, backup to internet, bluetooth, put the laptop HDD in a caddie and connect that to another computer.