USB ports in back: Super Annoying! Reccomend any USB hubs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I'm constantly plugging in and removing flash drives and externals, and with the USB ports located in the back of the iMac, blindly searching for the ports becomes pretty irritating fast, at least for me. Do any of you use any hubs that you could recommend?

2. IeU macrumors member

Same, im looking for a compact usb host that matches my 27'iMac (color-wise). . .

I saw one from belkin, white i believe with 5 or 7 ports (2 on the top and 3/5 in the back). . .

any other tips?

3. Spike88, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Suggest visiting many computer stores in your area and look for a "powered" USB hub. If plugging too many things into a non-powered HUB, the attached devices "may" become sluggish. re: Slower transfering data from a USB stick. For best results, always best to use a "powered" USB hub. If a "hub" to split 1 USB port isn't your fancy, then perhaps using USB extension cable (re: 12" long extension cable) might work better.

Also... If iMac connected to Backup UPS unit, ensure the power HUB is connected to the Backup UPS as well. Especially if you use the Backup UPS's USB control cable.

If wondering, my iMac uses a "low cost" self powered basic 4 x port USB hub. Low cost thing from my local computer store.... re: Seen under left side of my iMac screen @ http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/New iMac system/After-1.jpg

Hope this helps...

4. Rogue. macrumors regular

5. Rich5150 macrumors member

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Check monoprice.com, and as someone noted get a powered one. The 7 port monoprice one has worked flawlessly for me, and is $15 or so.

Rob

7. adnbek, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

If you don't mind replacing your keyboard with the wired one, there's a USB jack on it.

EDIT: Two USB jacks. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg