Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I'm about to give my girlfriend my old Rev-A iMac with a 466G3 in it and I also want to give her my USB Que! Drive. Its a CD-RW 4x2x8. She likes OS X but the last time I tried to use My Que! drive with OS X ... it didnt work. I installed the driver that they had just come out with that worked with OS X and I got as far as being able to mount CD's, but Toast Still could not see it under OS X. Has anyone gotten an USB Que! Drive to work under OS X?

-evildead

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
never mind

I looked up what I needed on the QPS site. Not too promising. It will Burn Audio with Toast but not data. you have to use Disk Burrner for that. Seems like there is not much support for the old USB CD-R's. Thats a shame.

-evildead

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
good to be back...

... I never really left. Ive just been busy so I havent had time to post. I have stoped in a few times. I didnt think it had been that long but now all the old crew are all Dmi-Gods and moterators.

It's nice to see someone remembers me :)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Windows!

You know what sucks? I hooked up my Que drive to a Windows Box (im giving it to a friend) and I found that QPS has relitivley new drivers for Windows for the dirive and they worked with no problems at all. I have had nothing but problems with QPS and there support. The firmware wont install, it took them forever to put out drivers for Toast4.0 that worked with any regularity and very little OSX support. And it only took me 2 min to get it to work with a WinBox! The dam drive is the same color as my Origional Bondi Blue iMac. It was the first USB CD-RW on the market and it was marketed at Mac users and yet they dont support Mac users? I have conntacted there tech Support before and that was a nightmare. Im not going to buy from them again.

-evildead

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Windows!

Originally posted by evildead
You know what sucks? I hooked up my Que drive to a Windows Box (im giving it to a friend) and I found that QPS has relitivley new drivers for Windows for the dirive and they worked with no problems at all. I have had nothing but problems with QPS and there support. The firmware wont install, it took them forever to put out drivers for Toast4.0 that worked with any regularity and very little OSX support. And it only took me 2 min to get it to work with a WinBox! The dam drive is the same color as my Origional Bondi Blue iMac. It was the first USB CD-RW on the market and it was marketed at Mac users and yet they dont support Mac users? I have conntacted there tech Support before and that was a nightmare. Im not going to buy from them again.

-evildead

I had one of those drives before buying (sadly) another Que! Drive. Their support is absymal.... i managed to wrangle an upgrade for Toast to get my burner (the USB one) to work with my old lombard... and they sent me a cheaply burned version that crapped out after three uses.

They suck. Plain and Simple. I have hear good things about formac though....nothing but good about them

m

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
QPS

I have one of QPS FireWire burners and have never had an issue using it, ever. I had the 12x10x32x burner, until I sold it to get the 24x model. Both use Toast flawlessly, and functioned with Apple's disc burning software. I prefer to use Toast for all my burning, and have yet to get a bad cd from the QPS burner.

When you are rating a hardware company, it is rather ignorant to rate it by hardware that is more then a year or so old (as is any 4x burner). Use hardware that is at the most 1-1/2 years old. Cd burning technology has come very far in just a few years.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: QPS

Originally posted by AlphaTech
I have one of QPS FireWire burners and have never had an issue using it, ever. I had the 12x10x32x burner, until I sold it to get the 24x model. Both use Toast flawlessly, and functioned with Apple's disc burning software. I prefer to use Toast for all my burning, and have yet to get a bad cd from the QPS burner.

When you are rating a hardware company, it is rather ignorant to rate it by hardware that is more then a year or so old (as is any 4x burner). Use hardware that is at the most 1-1/2 years old. Cd burning technology has come very far in just a few years.

I gave them a second shot with a QueFire! 16x drive that was DOA. they replaced it (three weeks wait time) and they sent me a brown box with a refurb drive and no software.... even though i had to sent the whole shebang back to them

Kinda soured me.

m

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: QPS

Originally posted by Moxiemike

I gave them a second shot with a QueFire! 16x drive that was DOA. they replaced it (three weeks wait time) and they sent me a brown box with a refurb drive and no software.... even though i had to sent the whole shebang back to them

Kinda soured me.

The first QPS drive I had was an 8x, then I picked up the 12x and now I have the 24x. I sold the previous ones each in time to get the faster ones. Not one had any issues, at all.

You get can get bad hardware from any company, no matter what their rep. is. I have heard of other people getting bad drive after bad drive from LaCie, and then nothing but good drives from QPS.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Re: QPS

The first QPS drive I had was an 8x, then I picked up the 12x and now I have the 24x. I sold the previous ones each in time to get the faster ones. Not one had any issues, at all.

You get can get bad hardware from any company, no matter what their rep. is. I have heard of other people getting bad drive after bad drive from LaCie, and then nothing but good drives from QPS.

Yea. I just guess I soured on them. Haven't heard any better about LaCie... but i have heard (and experienced) nthing but good from Formac.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
here's one, you can take the QUE drive out of its USB enclosure (more tricky than you would think) and place it in the towers cd spot or atapi drive spot (easier than you would think, I just put another hard drive there).

I opted to put the burner in an external firewire case w/atapi connection inside (pretty cheap fix over buying a new burner) and it finally works great!

just slow at 4x as its top burn speed.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have never tried a formac drive, and don't intend to. Unless they come out with some blazing hot new technology that the other companies have no plans to produce. I guess I got persuaded to stick with QPS when I got the second drive for free (was an eval that they never charged me for, ever :D). I had a friend purchase the 8x at MWNY a couple of years ago, and then I picked up the 24x after I sold the 12x. IF I had waited a few more weeks, the prices would have gone down, but I didn't... Oh well. It still works great for me, and I am sure that I could sell it when I am ready for an even faster burner. Why anyone would need to burn faster then one cd (700MB) every ~3-1/2 minutes is almost beyond me. It was go decent bump from the 8x to the 12x (8 minutes with the 8x, and 6-1/2 with the 12x).

Got to love the buffer underrun protection technologies that are in today's burners... You really have to work at getting a bad burn (at least with the good drives, like my QPS).

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
time...

My "ignorant rant" wasnt very clear. When it came out I ran out and got one. I took it home and it didnt work. I called tech suport and after 2 hours on the phone, they told me to take it back. When I finnaly got a working one it worked but not for data CD's and I could oly burn at 1x for Audio. I wasted tons of CD's. After a few bug fixes with toas 3.x (thats what it came with) and some new drivers, I was able to burn Data CD's at 2x and Audio at 1x with fewer coasters than before. Then some more time went by and Taost 4.0 came out. At first it didnt work with the Que! at all. After a month or so QPS came out with some working drivers. And I was finaly able to burn at 2x speed for both Data and Audio. I have only been able to burn at 4x after wasting 8 out of 10 CD's to do it. I was happy with the drive, it wasnt fast but it was finnaly working ok.

Then some firmware came out for it. I tried to install it with no luck. I sent 2 emails and got a resonce which asked for more informaton. I replyed and got no further responces. After resending it once a week for a month. The email started getting sent back to me. I then started over with a diffrent tech support email, they never responeded to me.

A few months later I got a Quicksliver G4 with a CD-RW so .. I didnt really need my Que any more. But I thought I would use it as an extra CD-ROM. But under OS X it would not work. I expected some delay for the drivers. Finnaly they came out a driver for OS X. I installed it and I got a message about how it was going to make changes to the Kernal. I shouldnt have but I let it install anyway. After a re-boot and a crash, I was finnaly able to open the CD tray on my Que! drive. But it coulnt not read any CD's let alone burn anything. Then came Driver # 2 for OS X. I was able to read CD's. Now with driver # 3, ( I have not tested it) THey claim that you can burn Audio but thats it.

I understand that it is an old product and I dont really expect them to support it forever, but my problem with the Que drive has been the lack of support throught the products life. And now that it works with no problem under Windows... i got a little ticked off. The drive was built for the original iMac and yet it works better on a PC. Its even the same dam color as my Rev-A! It did its job (with some headachs) but now Im giving it to a friend that will use it more than I do.

It sounds like QPS has been doing a better job as of latly and I have heard nothing but good stuff about their FireWire HD's and FireWire CD-RW's. It could just be that they didnt do so well with USB technology.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I have never tried a formac drive, and don't intend to. Unless they come out with some blazing hot new technology that the other companies have no plans to produce. I guess I got persuaded to stick with QPS when I got the second drive for free (was an eval that they never charged me for, ever :D). I had a friend purchase the 8x at MWNY a couple of years ago, and then I picked up the 24x after I sold the 12x. IF I had waited a few more weeks, the prices would have gone down, but I didn't... Oh well. It still works great for me, and I am sure that I could sell it when I am ready for an even faster burner. Why anyone would need to burn faster then one cd (700MB) every ~3-1/2 minutes is almost beyond me. It was go decent bump from the 8x to the 12x (8 minutes with the 8x, and 6-1/2 with the 12x).

Got to love the buffer underrun protection technologies that are in today's burners... You really have to work at getting a bad burn (at least with the good drives, like my QPS).

Agreed on the speeds Alpha. I know I just got a dual gig with the superdrive and am totally content to burn at 8x. I really don't burn much anymore, aside from the cd to be mailed to a client/service bureau.

I think the Superdrive really is the way to go and have had ZERO trouble with that. Love burning DATA DVD backups. :)

you know?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
for all of you who have had problems with QPS you are most certainly not alone. i suspect alpha is just being sadistic or something because anyone who knows hardware knows QPS is a joke and has the worst rep in the industry. it started mostly after they were the very last to introduce antiburn tech, but they also have problems with their fans, and boards as well. although they are cheap, they are not worth even that little amount of dough. if you want a pretty paper weight get a QPS but if you want something that works there are many many more brands out there, none of which have the rep QPS has.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I still have the two blank dvd's that came with the G4 at work (733 model with the superdrive, pre-quicksilver). I keep intending to burn them with data, but I just have yet to. I might one of these days, but would rather get something truely worth to burn first. I have a tape drive to backup with here at work, so I typically use that once a month (I also backup the department server with it). Considering how I have filled up over 1/2 of the 60GB drive inside my G4 tower, I need to do some cleaning up there. I am very glad to have this size drive though, I couldn't deal with anything smaller anymore.

Five years ago, people would have thought you crazy to need a drive over a few GB, today, it's almost impossible to get one under 20GB.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Now AL, why do you think of me as a sadist??? I'm almost hurt.... nahhhhh, bring it on!!! LOL!!

I just have to go by my own experiences with their drives. I have yet to have a bad burner from them. We also purchased several for people here at work, all are working perfectly. Some of them see a lot of cd's go through them every month (over 100), while some are more for sending files to vendors and such. I have heard of more problems with LaCie burners, and even the burners inside some (notice, some not all :p) G4 systems.

Maybe we are just lucky up here, or someone likes us better... :p :D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I still have the two blank dvd's that came with the G4 at work (733 model with the superdrive, pre-quicksilver). I keep intending to burn them with data, but I just have yet to. I might one of these days, but would rather get something truely worth to burn first. I have a tape drive to backup with here at work, so I typically use that once a month (I also backup the department server with it). Considering how I have filled up over 1/2 of the 60GB drive inside my G4 tower, I need to do some cleaning up there. I am very glad to have this size drive though, I couldn't deal with anything smaller anymore.

Five years ago, people would have thought you crazy to need a drive over a few GB, today, it's almost impossible to get one under 20GB.

If it makes you feel better, I have the 80gig that camer with my machine and another 120 gb internal WD and I only have about 75 gb left. Thats 110 gb used. 55 gb on LEGAL mp3s. I am a sicko, I know. :)

I keep meaning to burn al the mp3s to as DVD... but.... time.... organization... HAHAHAHA

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

If it makes you feel better, I have the 80gig that camer with my machine and another 120 gb internal WD and I only have about 75 gb left. Thats 110 gb used. 55 gb on LEGAL mp3s. I am a sicko, I know. :)

I keep meaning to burn al the mp3s to as DVD... but.... time.... organization... HAHAHAHA

I'm about to finally get an enclosure for my 60GB IBM TravelStar drive (the replacement arrived from IBM the other day) and place it outside my TiBook. With that in the mix, I will have a total of 130GB outside my TiBook, with another 40GB inside (170GB total). The 30GB and 40GB external drives are almost full at theis point, so I will use the 60 to organize it all and then do some burning. Since I have the networked printer at home, I will be able to print out directories of each cd to keep track of what is on each. Then I can wipe them and start fresh.

I have just under 4GB of music on my TiBook (all in iTunes and on my iPod). That includes almost all of my cd's (there are a few I don't care enough about to pull into the computer) and some mp3 downloads.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
:) im in the process of backing up now. i filled my 60GB drive in my imac. but i think ive trimmed down what i need to backup to about 2GB more than my ipod will hold. still working on it though.

Alpha: as far as space goes, so true. i remember back (dont remember how long ago) with my 33mhz performa buying 1GB and being told that i would NEVER be able to fill that amount of space. I named the drive Mr. Gig and made an icon of a superman character with a big G on his chest, it was so lame. now im looking to buy another external drive and im thinking about a WD 120GB 7200rpm with 8MB of buffer and i think its toio small. where is the 400GB drives IBM promised mewhen they first came out with their pixie dust tech?

as far as QPS goes, you are serious then? i wasnt sure if you were just jerking these guys around. i have heard the new drives are better, but still have some serious problems (largely with bad drives and overheating issues after multiple burns). QPS is sort of infamous for problems among the tech industry. never heard anything bad about any other company though. QPS still has yet t adopt the oxford 911 chipset, which is rather surprising and could be a source of some of the problems they have.

awhile ago there was a thread about using multiple burners simultaneously. the finder does this very easily but someone mentioned that toast can do it as well. anyone know how to do this in toast? because i cant seem to figure it out.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock

so how long is it going to take you to re rip all of those come august?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.