Usb

BuZZ22k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
I have a USB ad in card for my PC. Can I put this into the G3 box? And if so will all my USB perfs work with it?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I highly doubt it. The controller for USB and Firewire cards are OS specific if I remember right. Look around at USB and Firewire cards for Macs there are none that are PC and Mac compatible. One or the other never both. This has nothing to do with software it is the hardware. I personally wouldn't even bother trying.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by MacBandit
I highly doubt it. The controller for USB and Firewire cards are OS specific if I remember right. Look around at USB and Firewire cards for Macs there are none that are PC and Mac compatible. One or the other never both. This has nothing to do with software it is the hardware. I personally wouldn't even bother trying.

Ummmmm....actually a lot of USB PCI cards work with both.
Even the el cheapo ones you buy at Walmart work with both.
Look up the chipset and do a Google on it.
Google always has the answer.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by edvniow

Ummmmm....actually a lot of USB PCI cards work with both.
Even the el cheapo ones you buy at Walmart work with both.
Look up the chipset and do a Google on it.
Google always has the answer.
That's cool. I just haven't ever seen ones that would. Though I can't say I have ever tried.

Maybe it's just the firewire cards then. I know I have seen several companies that sell usb/firewire cards for macs and pcs (same company sells both) and the cards are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.