Use a family member's upgrade to get the iphone 4s? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bahkah, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bahkah macrumors newbie

Currently, I'm not eligible for an upgrade, but one of my family member is.

Can I use my family members upgrade to get the iphone 4s? That family member currently has no data plan... and i know that when you order it... it will ask you to pick a data plan... So what do I do if it is possible to use my family member's upgrade?

Basically, I want to use my family member's upgrade to get the iphone 4s, while that family member plans to continue to use their current phone with no data on it. Is this possible and what would be the procedures?

Thanks for the help!

2. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

Used my mom's upgrade to preorder from Verizon.

1. Are you an account manager? If so, very easy. Just go in and upgrade. If you're doing it online, just order it on the other account and you can transfer when you get it.

2. If you're not an account manager, the account manager will need to either a) order it and then transfer it when it arrives or b) call Verizon and authorize the transfer of an upgrade to your account. I've done B plenty of times.

Now, today when I got the iPhone the MEID # was assigned to Mom's account. So, I just called up Verizon, got a rep on the phone and read him the new MEID #, which he linked up to my account. Blackberry was dead within a minute and iPhone was activated.

3. bahkah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm on att so not sure if that changes anything.

I have a iphone 4 on unlimited data. If i order the iphone 4s on my family's line... do i activate the sim on that line first and then swap sim cards?

Since my family member does not have data... when i use the iphone 4s... will it continue with my unlimited data?

Then would I have to call att to cancel the data plan on the line that i used to upgrade on?

Thanks for the help!

4. LivingLarge macrumors member

Just upgrade your family members line to the 4S, when you get it, just take out the sim in it and replace with the one you already have in your ip4. Then immediately cancel the data on your family members line and they continue to use the phone they always had without data.

5. bahkah thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on att.

My sister has a NON smartphone or dumb phone. If I do an upgrade swap with her... I heard that her phone may be deactivated?

I'm confuse. Some people say to activate the iphone 4s with the sim it came with....then take it out and put in my iphone 4's sim. Simple as that?

Others say that after switching sims... you need to call att? I would appreciate it if someone can clear things up.

Will my sister be able to continue to use her NON smartphone/dumb phone.... and all i have to do is call att to cancel the data?

Thanks