Use a MacBook Air as external monitor to the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NeonBible, Apr 7, 2013.

1. NeonBible macrumors member

I know that you can use an iMac as external monitor to a MacBook, but is it possible the other way around — taking benefit of the iMac's power and use a MacBook as external monitor? I get the 27" iMac late 2012 tomorrow, and I have already a 13" MacBook Air mid 2012. So will a Thunderbolt-cable let me choose which one to use as main machine, and which one to use as external monitor?

2. simsaladimbamba

Only AirDisplay and ScreenRecycler can help you, the physical connection will not work like it does with an iMac.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Why would you want to do that? It has a smaller screen...the whole point of an external moniter is to get a bigger screen.

4. NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna use the iMac as the main monitor, of course, but also want to use my MacBook Air's monitor as a second screen for Spotify/iTunes, Facebook etc. when the iMac is running Photoshop on full screen. I see the answers I've gotten so far tell different things. So, will a Thunderbolt-cable be able to let me use the MacBook as an external monitor for my iMac, or will it not? :)

5. simsaladimbamba

It will not, you need the software mentioned in post #2.

6. NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

OK! Thank you very much :)