Use an unlocked UK iPhone 4 on PAYG in The USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by copydeskcat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I'm off to the USA in three weeks with my family on holiday. My wife and I will be taking our unlocked iPhone 4s with us. However, last year, I got proper burned by O2 with roaming data and SMS charges. Texts are 25p a throw (to send home to the UK or to send to a person on a US mobile).

So, I'm keen to get some kind of PAYG microsims to use in the phones while we're there.

So, can anyone tell me if there's a way I can go about this?

I don't want a contract, I would rather a PAYG microsim, if possible - something with a data allowance.

I'll have wifi when I'm at the holiday home, but I'll want data when I'm out for basic stuff like email.

So - what are my options? Is it easy to do - and how much will it cost?

Best,

CDC

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There are very few prepaid options with data, but I understand your concern. You might want to look for Virgin Mobile prepaids (I believe it was 25$ for unlimited text, 350m talk time and unlimited data.. dunno speed though). There's also T-Mobile Day Web Pass, and finally I think AT&T offers something, but their prices were beyond absurd so I didn't even bother to look at that.

3. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

When i went to NY last year i found this to be a big problem.

Its not the UK where loads of our networks offer pay as you go micro sims that you can pop into your iPhone and use straight away.

I had to basically turn off my data off to avoid roaming charges