Use AT&T iPhone in Australia--options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hoffmant, Jul 18, 2013.

1. hoffmant macrumors member

My wife's heading to Australia for two weeks in early August. What's the best way for her to go so she can use her phone while there? Is it possible/ easy to pick up a prepaid sim or something there? Do we need to contact AT&T before she goes and set up an international plan? I guess I'm curious about what's easiest above all.

2. cdubb80 macrumors member

I moved to Australia last year - you need to get it unlocked if you want to use a local SIM card. They are available at 7-11s everywhere.

Telstra is the more expensive high end brand, Optus and Vodafone are slightly cheaper... also some grocery stores offer rebranded prepaid SIMS that are good value.

3. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Like cdubb80 said, you'll need to get it unlocked to take advantage of local SIMs.

Once in Australia, I picked up an OPTUS prepaid SIM at Melbourne Airport though their stores were pretty common. Being there for around 10 days, I bought a 1GB plan with unlimited Facebook/Twitter/social media usage. It was around $40 and the speeds were more than sufficient.