Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maijedb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Wouldn't this be awesome to play ps4 on my ipad? Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Wouldn't this be awesome to play ps4 on my ipad? Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Nope, no hardware support for direct video input - just as on the 99,9% of all tablets and even all-in-one devices like the iMac.

Software mirroring is certainly possible but it introduces HUGE lag, making gaming impossible.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
it has specific hardware to do this

You mean like a wifi module, a CPU, and a GPU? What else is there? And are any of those on a Vita more powerful than in the latest iPad? I'm not being sarcastic….I'm actually asking because I don't know.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
You mean like a wifi module, a CPU, and a GPU? What else is there? And are any of those on a Vita more powerful than in the latest iPad? I'm not being sarcastic….I'm actually asking because I don't know.

I don't know about all the specifics, but Sony has control of both the Vita and PS Series so I would assume they can make both hardware and software changes to better complement the streaming feature

Maybe Menneisyys2 can shed more light on this if he/she knows more

Have you heard about the Nvidia Shield? I know for that, the streaming heavily depends on your wireless router for the utmost lowest latency. The Nvidia Shield has a strong 2x2 wireless n compatible wifi module

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I don't know about all the specifics, but Sony has control of both the Vita and PS Series so I would assume they can make both hardware and software changes to better complement the streaming feature

Maybe Menneisyys2 can shed more light on this if he/she knows more

Have you heard about the Nvidia Shield? I know for that, the streaming heavily depends on your wireless router for the utmost lowest latency. The Nvidia Shield has a strong 2x2 wireless n compatible wifi module

I have a Shield. And a Vita, although no PS4 to stream from. But I also know that many people have used Splashtop to successfully stream games to various devices. As long as the PS4 or PC is doing the heavy work, there shouldn't be any reason an iPad couldn't act as a gaming monitor. The only problem would be the lack of physical controls on the iPad. I'm not sure if the PS4 has game streaming built in, but of course Sony would have to put out an iOS app that permitted the use of PS4 games on the iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.