Use iPhone 3G as an ipod touch - no service - replaced battery now wifi not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by diestler, May 1, 2011.

1. diestler macrumors newbie

Have a 3G iPhone. The battery wasn't holding a charge, so I decided to try another phone on AT&T - not really happy with it so want to go back to iPhone. I took to a mac repair store and they changed out the battery. The battery works great and it connects to my home network (which is working), but I can't seem to get it to run off wifi. No service plus wifi doesn't seem to work. Still have the SIM card. Have tried resetting phone, network, network settings, running in airplane mode, etc - nothing seems to work. It seems to get a full signal on the network, but it won't actually pull in data (load pages, etc.). I want to make sure the wifi is working properly before I go through the trouble of having AT&T reactivate the phone.

Any suggestions?

2. diestler thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. So I backed up the phone using iTunes before getting the battery replaced, just in case. So I just decided to try and restore the phone. The good news is the wifi is now working (strange), but I lost all my apps, contacts, pics, etc. I've never done a restore before. What did I do wrong? Have I lost all those things forever? I wonder if it's because I no longer have AT&T so the phone can't be activated when restored?

Help please.

3. diestler thread starter macrumors newbie

the plot thickens - pics and contacts are there, but the apps and music are nowhere to be found

any thoughts on how to get those back?