Use iPhoto '09 (8.1.2) to monitor pictures folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hammie5150, May 24, 2010.

1. Hammie5150 macrumors newbie

Please excuse the basic question; I am a Mac newbie after 20+ years using PC's:

I have 30+ GB of family photos stored in an extensive folder tree, grouped by subject, date, or other identifying feature. They all have varying amounts of meta data, so not all may be tagged with dates/times, etc. I want to use iPhoto to simply monitor and display all my photos that are stored in the /user/pictures folder in the finder. I do not want them to be "imported" and stored in the iPhoto library. For what it's worth, I have already unchecked the option for iPhoto to copy imported images into the iPhoto library. Can anyone help explain how I do this?

Thanks,
    Hammie5150

2. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

In the Finder select the top picture folder(s) and drag & drop it onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock.
    Maybe you should first import a small subfolder to see if the import does what you expect it to do.

3. Hammie5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto Import

That's basically what I've done so far. I was just looking for a specific way to make it monitor the folders and detect new additions/deletions as I make them. I will probably be organizing the photos in the folder tree as opposed to using the iPhoto tools.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I don't believe iPhoto will do what you want.

You want the same directory monitoring functionality as Picasa so unless you have a reason you don't like Picasa I'd recommend downloading that and giving it a shot.

5. Hammie5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto Import

I will give Picasa a look-see. I have no reason to dislike it as I have never used it. Thanks.

6. ToddJ macrumors 6502

i just had to ressurect this thread.... has anyone seen a plugin for iphoto that would work as Hammie describe? i love that functionality in Picasa, but i like iPhoto to browse my photos.... when i post on the Apple "Communities" there are staunch proponents of the iPhoto database style, but i have heard of people having corrupted databases from iPhoto....