Use Macbook battery to charge iPhone direct?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackbeezian, Aug 6, 2012.

1. blackbeezian macrumors newbie

A quick one.

Does anyone know of any accessory that can be used with a macbook battery (or any laptop battery) to enable it to charge USB devices such as the iPhone? It seems silly that I've got a 5500mAH battery sat at home that for the sake of a £1 eBay adapter could provide my devices with charge for a week.

If it doesn't exist I've got one word - Kickstarter!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or responses.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Link to this $1.55 adapter? Because as far as I know nothing like this exists.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Agreed, cuz I have an HP laptop battery that is still good... the computer died cuz it was junk.

4. willmtaylor, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Disregard. I misread

5. blackbeezian thread starter macrumors newbie

@want and @interstella:

I'm asking if anyone knows of anything like this that exists. The price I put was just an example of something much lower than it would cost to buy an integrated product ($60/70+) - it was not the price of something I'd seen, and hence my asking if anyone had seen a product like this.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, I'd say it's silly to expect a product like this to exist.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I got ya now... But yea, thats a cool thought. but I doubt it would be cheap.

8. blackbeezian thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is it silly? To me it would be a really useful product and something that someone in China could easily manufacture and make a big margin on given the way it re-uses a product you've already purchased.

It's no sillier than a car cigarette lighter to USB adapter, an Optibay, or any number of random adapter, bracket, etc, etc type products that are knocking around the Internet.

9. scaredpoet, Aug 6, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So far, you've only demonstrated that it would be convenient and useful for you.

MacBook and Macbook Pro batteries are several years old, and for most of them their capacity has deteriorated by now. It's a finite market that's only getting smaller as time passes. There is no volume there, and no profit to be made.

And it's even worse to try and make a generic laptop battery to iPhone charger, because there's no such thing as a generic laptop battery. They come in all sizes and shapes, different voltages and pin configurations. Even Apple has different battery types for different MacBook and MacBook Pro models.

There are tens of millions of cars in the US alone with cigarette lighters, and thousands more being made daily. Of those, millions of users enjoy the convenience of pcharging their phone in their car and are willing to pay about $20 for it.

How many good condition 2007-and-older MacBook laptop batteries are out there? How many of those users really want to use that brick to charge their iPhone and are willing to pay for the adapter to do it? That number probably isn't even in the hundreds.

An Optibay is a specialized adapter that the vendor charges $49.99 for. Are you willing to pay $49.99 for a device that adapts your old laptop battery into a charger for your iPhone? I'm not, because for less than that I can get two chargers with the battery already built in.

Most of them are for devices that number in the millions and are currently being manufactured. The residual market for these things drop quickly once the product stops being actively sold, leaving only clearance inventory and remaining stock for the second hand users.

The economy of scale just isn't there to take an obscure (and growing rarer) laptop battery and make safe, reliable adapters for them that charge iPhones.

If you *really* want something that does that, then you're probably gonna have to pay about $250 for it on eBay plus the cost of the USB to iPhone doc connecter cable. But as an added bonus, it'll surf the web and run older Mac apps, too.

Or, you could sell your battery on eBay to a person still using one of those old Macbook Pros. They get a good battery for their laptop, you can use the money to buy yourself a Mophie juicepack or something. Everybody wins.

What a great idea. Since clearly you feel there's money to be made in this, maybe you should propose it. Prove all of us wrong.

10. blackbeezian thread starter macrumors newbie

scaredpoet - thanks for the straw man arguments. I'm talking about an adapter to allow a laptop battery to charge USB devices. Yes the thread title mentions 'Macbook' and 'iPhone' but this is because it's a Mac forum and I didn't want to the thread to be instantly buried - my post body explained as such. Stating obvious facts, for example that laptop batteries degrade over time or that Apple are now producing laptops that only have integrated batteries has nothing to do with my original question - I wasn't making any claims as such, so presenting those and then knocking them down serves no purpose. And with the 'Optibay at $49.99' - what has this got to do with a battery adapter? I was using it as an example that all sorts of weird adapters do exist out there, not inferring any pricing or market size. And the cigarette lighter comment - you can buy adapters from cassette to minijack but a cassette player hasn't been made in 5-10+ years; if a market exists and the product is cheap to manufacturer someone will step in.

I feel the nub of our difference of opinion here is that you do not believe a market exists and I do. There are millions of macbook owners out there with removable battery laptops that could have this need at the right price point.

With regards to kickstarter - it's not an idea that I could get off the ground due to the safety issues around selling this kind of product. That's not to say some spark in somewhere like China might not pick up on the idea of some device enabling users to re-purpose (or 'up-cycle') their laptop battery to charge portables.

11. scaredpoet, Aug 6, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Explain how "there's no money in making this product" is a straw-man argument.

Businesses aren't charities.

I think the fact that this product doesn't exist blows your accusation right out of the water.

I know what you're talking about. There's still no money in it.

It has everything to do with your original question. The product doesn't exist and likely won't exist. There's no money in it.

Unfortunately, you're equating real, concrete reasons why you won't get what you want as "straw man arguments." If they were straw men, we wouldn't be having this conversation and this thread probably would've even exist. Instead, you'd have already bought your charger off Amazon and that would've been that, because someone would've already figured it out by now.

And thus, you explain exactly what this has to do with a battery adapter. You brought it up as an example of why such niche things should exist.

I was pointing out why an Optibay is a different situation altogether. It's a niche product, but it serves a purpose that can't otherwise be served for its prospective audience. On the other hand, there are other, cheaper ways to charge an iPhone, and other, cheaper ways to recycle a laptop battery.

Actually (and sadly, as this surprises even me), you're wrong about that one.

This is the one point you've made that's correct. So.... where's the product you want? Why doesn't it exist?

Hmm... probably because there's no market. :)

Then as i said in my previous post: do the kickstarter project, become a millionaire, and prove me wrong.

Ohhh! So you mean that because of the risks involved, it's not profitable for you to make such a product? The potential risk outweighs any potential reward?

In other words... there's no money in it? :)

Ah, so it's okay for some company in China to crank these risk-laden products out and get sued the moment it burns someone's house down, but not you?

I think you've pretty much explained on your own why such a product will never see the light of day.

As I said before: you would be better off selling your battery to someone using a Macbook who could really use it for its intended purpose. With the cash you get from that, buy yourself a portable charger for your iPhone. your battery will be recycled, you'll get what you want, and more people will be benefitted by these actions than what you propose.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Laptop batteries are totally proprietary. There's 1000's of different connector arrangements, sizes, etc. To make an adapter that would cover enough of the market to be profitable, you'd have to build in support for all these different batteries, and at that point it'd end up costing as much as just getting a new battery I'd assume