Use MBP as an additional monitor to my home desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SwaGGeReR, May 12, 2011.

1. SwaGGeReR macrumors newbie

I need to have a dual monitor setup for my home desktop (Windows). I want to put my MBP and my home desktop monitor side-by-side, extending my windows desktop onto my MBP screen.

My home desktop has an ATI Radeon X300, which is connected to my desktop monitor via VGA. The card also has a DVI-I female(?) port. I would guess that I need to connect my MBP to the DVI-I female(?) port with a mini DVI to DVI-I cable.

Will this work?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBook Pros do not have video input so this is not possible. You could connect your MBP to the desktop's monitor though.

3. SwaGGeReR thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah, but that defeats the purpose...I want to be able to use my keyboard and mouse on a native windows machine...

Any way to do this?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can connect your keyboard and mouse to your MBP too. If you need to run Windows, then consider Boot Camp or virtualization.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just use your keyboard and mouse with a native Windows machine. You don't need your MBP in the mix to accomplish that. You can also use TeamViewer to run your Windows PC from your Mac and vice-versa.

6. SwaGGeReR thread starter macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So buy another display. You can't use your MBP screen as a display for another computer, because it doesn't have a video in port.

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You could get something budget, like THIS UNIT.