Use New iPad As Monitor for Mac mini USB C?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by w4rm, Nov 3, 2018.

1. w4rm macrumors member

w4rm

Is this possible natively since iPad has USB C?

2. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Well sure it's possible. Just needs driver software. Will Apple write it, or allow someone else to? Who knows.

3. alex00100 macrumors 6502

That would be awesome and it’s a much requested feature to be able to use iPad natively as a second screen on macs but the only option would be Astropad and duet display which are not that great. Currently Usb c only allows video output on iPad but not input.

4. torxcrossword macrumors newbie

There is Luna Display, which plugs into USB C or MiniDisplayport to pretend to be a monitor. Then it routes that image either through USB(lightning) or Wifi to your iPad.

5. w4rm thread starter macrumors member

w4rm

WOW this is perfect, watching reviews online looks like there's basically zero lag as it's not a software trick, it's hardware based. So it can take advantage of Graphics Acceleration & Metal 2!

6. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have Luna and use it daily at work, it’s amazing! Works perfectly and well worth the price!

7. alex00100 macrumors 6502

I have luna as well and it's pretty good as a second monitor but if that's your daily setup especially with an expensive computer like Mac mini I feel sorry for you. There's a noticeable delay, as in the mouse cursor feels floaty, videos will skip frames and sound will come a bit faster than video and image quality is comparable to airplay, it's compressed.

8. w4rm thread starter macrumors member

w4rm

Oh yeah, well maybe it will work with the new iPads directly as it's USB-C now, as iPad to Monitor works. I don't think it would be much for Luna or another company to make an app that makes the iPad act as a monitor via USB-C, then there will be 0 lag.

9. alex00100 macrumors 6502

I don't think you quite understand it. Just how you can't plug in a Mac Pro into a MacBook to output video, Usb c is the same. It only transfers video one way. Our only hope is that usb c improves data transfer speeds then that would allow faster and better incoded video transmission. But quality wise that still wouldn't get it anywhere close to even a $100 display which is what I'd recommend you getting.