Use of a phone number entered during a call - how to do that?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roderyk, Sep 9, 2013.

1. roderyk macrumors newbie

Imagine a situation:
    Someone is calling and gives me quickly a number I have to call just after he/she disconnects.
    This number cannot be saved in my phone's address book as a contact because... of various reasons (I just don't want to).

What I imagine in my iPhone is: 1) to enter the digits I hear, 2) disconnect and 3) tap some nice icon to connect with recorded number. But the device discards what I've just entered and my memory is too weak to remember whole sequence.

What to do in such a situation?

R
    iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Open Notes, take down number there?

3. roderyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I thought it'll be something quicker and more convenient (everyone used to say iPhone has great interface designed with ergonomy in mind).
    On my old handset I was doing this:
    1) during a call I just pressed the numbers I heard;
    2) after disconnecting the phone left entered numbers making it able to dial the number right away;

Here, I have to:
    1) minimize the call screen
    2) tap on notes (if I have them on the home screen)
    3) tap on plus sign to add a note
    4) tap on very inconvenient (because the numbers are small compared to dialing keypad) keyboard to enter digits;
    5) tap on the top to go back to call screen;
    6) after disconnecting tap on the number in Notes and tap to agree to connect with it.

Is this real ergonomy?
    :(

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Here, listen to this. To make a call, you have to:

1) Wake your phone
    2) Swipe to unlock
    3) Type in passcode
    4) Click phone icon
    5) Go to favorites
    6) Tap the contact you wish to call

Makes it sound so arduous when you list it like that..

In reality, both of these functions (making a call and opening notes) take just a couple of seconds. It's just the way it works. Could it be better? Everything could be, and maybe some day it wil lchange.

5. maliu macrumors 6502a

It will be in your recent call history if the number is who just called you. If not add contact and just delete it when you're done.

6. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Let me get this straight: you expect Apple to design software around this one incredibly rare and hypothetical scenario you've dreamt up that "ergonomically" saves you the hassle of an extra swipe?

Ever heard of a pen?

7. aicul macrumors 6502a

I think the guy is right, its not that hypothetical as that. And yes there are pens but the truth is if you have an iPhone there should be no reason for a pen - you have your finger...

A similar case I have is when I get emails with tel numbers inserted. That's great because I can tap the number and dial direct.... well except that many people still insist in marking the area code pre-selector (+xx (0)xx+xxxxx the 0 in this case) which means the number is incorrect. Here it is impossible to delete a digit being dialed, so you need to copy/paste to notepad than back again. Or, try looking at a number in "recent call history" of the phone APP when on a call... impossible. Frankly, whilst on the phone there are too many limitations.