Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mafopinion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I have a GoFlex Home 2TB NAS drive that I have been using for the last year attached to my dlink DIR-655 to backup two Mac's and several Windows PC's. The dlink is giving me problems, and I'm considering a move to the Airport Extreme, which seems like a solid unit. I have read conflicting things about the GoFlex Home working with NAS. On the Seagate forums they said that the Extreme does not appear to support UPnP port configuration (candidly, not sure what that means) and that I would be manually setting it up.

Does anyone have experience in using this particular drive with the Airport Extreme? I'm not looking to complicate my life, so any advice would be appreciated.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
UPnP - universal plug and play.
will let your programs or devices configure your router for you automatically.
so the goflex will tell your router, i need port x open, and the router will open that port and forward it to your goflex.
that way when you run the goflex app outside of your home network, it will try to communicate on port x, and when your router sees that, it will connect you to the goflex.

so if you want to have access from outside your home network, you'll have to manually open the ports, shouldn't be that difficult, you'll need the ip address that it gets assigned on your network, and the ports to open (should be pretty easy to find)
if you don't access from outside your home network, nothing to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.