Use picture of an iPhone around the app screenshot?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Sven11, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I often see screenshots of Apps with an iPhone around them. Is it possible for me to do the same without being a designer or professional picture editor?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sure. Just do a screen capture of the app running on the simulator (iPhone, non-retina)

3. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but that looks like an old iPhone 4.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, your original question didn't state what model of iPhone you wanted. Perhaps you would like to clarify now?

EDIT:
    You might also want to check out the Apple Product Images under the Marketing Resources section of the iOS Dev Center (login required).

5. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I was searching for. Thank you. Just one question: How do I put my screenshot in the iPhone picture?

I don't have much experience with photo editing.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

This is why I suggested screen capturing the simulator. No photo editing skills required.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Amazingly, Macs have nothing out of the box for something as trivial as this (instead of offering up some basic drawing or painting tools, you get Garage Band. This has struck me as a glaring omission from OS X for over a decade now.)

Personally, I currently use Keynote for this kind of basic image manipulation, mostly because I'm already intimately familiar with the program's capabilities and I already bought it years ago. I don't know if the web version can handle this or not.

As soon as I have the budget to do so, I'll be buying something along the lines of Sketch ($50 on the Mac App Store) for this kind of photo editing.

8. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It can annotate existing images... "edit" is too strong a word for what it's capable of. iPhoto is probably capable of doing more than Preview is. But nobody would ever propose either is a viable drawing, sketching, or painting application.

10. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I didn't say it was the equal of a commercial image editor. But you can do some things with it. Most coders wouldn't have any idea what to do with Photoshop anyway.

Attached Files:

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Nope, probably not. I consider Photoshop very far from the golden standard. Keynote is the best image editor I've ever personally used - based on the look of Sketch (and from what I've seen my coworkers do with it,) I suspect it takes everything great about Keynote for editing images and expands on those while removing Keynote's other features (because, after all, Keynote wasn't designed with being an image editor in mind.)

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You might, but it really is the gold standard. I think you get that luxury when your product name becomes a verb. :)

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I see - I need to elaborate. An ideal editor would be intuitive and have a simple layout. Without having ever used the editor before, I should be able to just open it and get how it works and be able to do whatever I want.

Keynote is pretty good at that. The unintuitive part is how to get your edited image out of the program (I have an Apple script that I wrote just for handling taking the currently selected objects in Keynote and exporting it as a png with a transparent background.) Cropping can also be pretty tricky.

Photoshop is not that. I open it up and I have no idea what I'm doing. Same thing in GIMP. Photoshop / GIMP are nowhere near that - I can't do anything in either program without extensive googling and manual reading.